Changing Oil on an Ericson 38-200 with Universal M-40

coultereng

What's the best way to change the oil on my Ericson 38-200. I've been trying to suck the oil out through the dip-stick hole without much success. Anyone have any neat tricks?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Replace the Plug with........

Our '88 model boat with the 23 hp Universal that was equipped with the then-optional oil changing hose with the "banjo fitting". Later that great fitting became standard on all the Universal diesels AFAIK.

See this thread, and our set up is pictured in reply 12.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?6036-Oil-Change-Process&referrerid=28

This hose enables me to push the tube for our vacuum oil changer right down to the bottom and slurp out all the old oil. Matter of fact I did the annual oil change a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty straightforward with this set up.

Loren

Last edited:

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Our 38-200 has the sump hose attached. Look carefully. You may not have noticed it beneath the engine. As everyone has said, the hose make oil changing a snap with a small pump on an electric drill.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd appreciate a link to a recommended drill pump. The one I bought for $10 at Home Depot didn;t work and fell apart in five minutes.

Oh yeah--the oil should be quite warm, which with a cold engine can take a while. And if using one of those little brass suction pumps, it will take forever and feel like pulling a 10-mile-long rubber band.

Say, who has the best pump-reservoir extractor for under $200?

Last edited:

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Drill pump

I had some pumps that quickly fell apart, too. I have used the same Jabsco drill pump for about 5 years now and it still works like new with hot oil. I like to use clear reinforced hoses to be able to see the oil. (The clear hoses without reinforcement collapse with the hot oil.) I need 3 one gallon bottles on hand to collect all the oil from the ridiculously huge sump in the 5432 engine. The pump is available at West Marine and likely can be found less expensively with some looking online.
Mike

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Say, who has the best pump-reservoir extractor for under $200?

I use a Tempo/Moeller vacuum extraction pump that I have fitted with flare fittings to match the fittings I have on the oil sump hose on my M-25XP. It's very quick and clean. I also made a short copper tube with a flare fitting for sucking out transmission fluid. At home I use it for draining oil or gas from power equipment and water from wherever.

West and everyone else sells the pumps.

http://moellermarine.com/product-ca...fluid-extractors/above-deck-fluid-extractors/

BTW, My experience is the same with the drill pumps.

Last edited: