Guest viewing is limited

Carbon monoxide detector?

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Stupid Question: Is it more effective on the floor or ceiling? I can't remember if CO is lighter or heavier than air, but i am sure one of you does! Thanks, Edd

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Knowing where to look it up - priceless

Carbon = 12 molecular wt
Oxygen = 16 molecular wt

CO = 28 molecular wt (?) +/- the odd sub-atomic particle

Air is about
78 % Nitrogen (14 molecular wt), actually N2 (= 28 molecular wt)
21 % O2 (=32 molecular wt)
1 % inert gases, water vapor (20 molecular wt), nitrous oxides and diesel particulates

I'd guess CO mixes pretty well with air. Might not matter too much about the detector height.

We installed our CO/Smoke detector at about shoulder level on the bulkhead near the entrance to the V-berth where we sleep. The installation directions didn't speak to an ideal height for the combo detector, IIRC.

PS - Wikipedia says:
CO detectors can be placed near the ceiling or near the floor because CO is very close to the same density as air.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And -Thank You, Craig.
I am continually amazed at the wealth of information on this site, from thoughtful owners.
Since I mounted mine in the "middle" beside the nav desk surface, I guess I sort of split the difference.
Loren

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I was figuring to put it about sleeping height. But then realized that the berths in the main cabin are lower than the front. But then the main cabin is where the biggest chance of emitting CO would be. After thinking about it CO is a shield gas for MIG welding It is preferred when welding vertical or horizontal below the torch, and argon is used overhead. That tells me that Co must be heavier than air. Then there is also dry ice, (frozen co2) and it melts in a fog that also sinks. Therefore it is possible to conclude that one could spend an inordinate amount of time pondering the question and it follows that the people smart enough to make the detector should be smart enough to put the answer IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!:egrin: Edd
Thanks for the answer guys!

paul culver

Member III
Here's the set-up as factory-installed in my cabover camper:

Propane detector near the floor
CO detector half-way between floor and ceiling.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

D-Man

CO Detector and Propane detector false alarms

I am new to the board and a new boat owner (2 months and counting) of a 35 MKIII. I am having a problem with false alarms from each of the propane and CO alarms which occur when we are off the boat. The gas is off at the tank and we burn off the excess in the lines before we close up the boat. We have had it leak tested and received the ok on the system. Nothing is on except the battery charger. I live some distance from the boat but have a fellow keep an eye on it for me. He called me to report both alarms were going off and the CO alarm was reading 500 ppm! I did have some major mechanical work done on the boat about a month ago and there remains a faint solvent smell in the boat but it disipates with ventilation. The co alarm appears to be a household one (came with the boat) and was installed some time ago. It sits just above the nav table on the side facing the dinette not much more than 3 feet above the house bank. Any ideas onwhat might be causing the problem?

MarcusJtown

Member II
CO detectors do have an expiration date, usually about 5 years. I'm a firefighter, and that's almost always the issue when we respond to false alarms. I'm not sure about the propane detector, but I think any gas detector will have a set lifespan and need to be replaced eventually.

p.s. the expiration date is usually on the side or the back.