cannot hear blower and no bilge pump

Jarod

Member III
Hi

I am still in the process of getting everything ironed out on my recently purchased 1974 e27..when i first went to look at the boat i checked both the bilge pump and the blower (both worked) neither seem to be working now...first stupid question where is the fan that draws the air out of the A4 compartment...and i am guessing proabably best to just test the pump by running direct to the battery?....by the way i did flip up the float switch for the pump and the switch at the panel with no success..

thanks

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Do you have a multitester? You can trace the bilge-pump circuit with a multitester or a simple 12V light bulb rigged with wires to both terminals. Put one end on the negative battery terminal, and put the other end on each terminal along the path to the bilgepump, starting closest to the battery, and working your way towards the pump. That will identify the exact connection or wire that's bad.

Nate

rgoff

Member III
On my '73 E27 the blower is mounted on the left side (looking at the front of the engine) of the engine compartment towards the back. I don't remember the exact way the large ventilation hoses are used. I think the blower forces air into the bilge and the engine compartment is ventilated by a rubber vent on the port side of the transom (the one facing forward). Another hose connects to the exhaust vent on the starboard side of the transom (that points aft).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A4 = ventilation

Might be worth noting that for a gasoline engine, you need a spark-proof "marine" exhaust blower with its pickup at the bottom of the engine compartment. Your family, your insurance company, and the surveyor will all demand this, IMO.

As long as there is ample room (about 9 or so total square inches) for air to enter, the engine will not want for incoming combustion air supply.

Just my .02 worth,
Loren

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Isn't it also required that the blower be on the input side, rather than the exhaust side, so the blower is moving fresh air, not potentially fume-laden air?

Nate

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Exorcising Hydrocarbons...

Hi Nate,
My understanding has always been that the very purpose of the blower is to remove potentially fume-laden air that accumulates at the bottom of the engine compartment. Thus, the decades-old ritual of sniffing the exhaust air at the blower exit at the back of the cockpit for the smell of fuel...
After running it for a couple of minutes before turning on the ignition...

Loren

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I was wondering if you should push air out by pressurizing (I even had a recollection of reading that some where), but now that I think about it I don't think that would work so well, as you'd circulate the fumes into the cabin and bilge as well as out the hose and cowl that serves as an outflow for your bilge ventilation.

So in short - nevermind. :oops: