Can I mix gloss & semi-gloss varnish?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

I want to refinish the teak and holly cabin sole. I did a light sanding and applied two coats of semi-gloss varnish in the spring. It turned out pretty well, but looks slightly more opaque than I would like, due to the semi-gloss; it almost looks like a satin finish.

I don't want to use just high gloss as I think it would be too shiny and might also be slippery when wet.

So I am thinking of doing a light sanding and then applying a 50/50 mix of clear high gloss varnish and semi-gloss varnish. Is there any reason that this wouldn't work, ie. any incompatibility that would keep the two from mixing together properly? I don't want a streaky finish.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Frank

Lucky Dog

Member III
Same brand...no problem. I regularly in building furniture apply 5 coats gloss and the 2 of satin. This gives a rich depth and knock the gloss shin down.

ml

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I put three coats of Pettit Captains Varnish and one top coat of Interlux Satin on my V-berth panel. I like the darker amber color of the Pettit, but they don't seem to make a satin version. This gave me a nice clear build with the color I like. You could also try several coats of clear and then rub it out to knock off the gloss, but that might be too much work.

Frank Langer

Mark, thanks for your reply. I've heard the term "rub it out" before, but have no idea how one does that. Can you explain the process?

Thanks,
Frank

tenders

Innocent Bystander
"Rubbing out" has various meanings, not all of them couth, but in this case I belive it means "lightly sand with very fine sandpaper, perhaps the finest wetsand grit you can find."

Frank Langer

Thanks, Tenders. I have some 1500 grit wet-sand paper -- would that be fine enough to do the job without the cabin sole looking like it's been sanded?

Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Do a Google search for "rubbing out a finish" and you'll find lots of articles. It usually starts with very fine sandpaper and then moves on to 0000 steel wool with a lubricant.