Can I clean raw water intake screen without...

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I want to do a preventive clean/empty the raw water intake screen/filter on my Universal 5416 motor. I think it just unscrews, then the screen is accessible to clean of any debris, and then reattach.

My questions are:

1) If I close the raw water seacock, is there any other source of water to be aware of other than the contents of the filter/screen? I don't want to face an unexpected flood. :confused:

2) When I clean the screen and empty the filter container, do I need to refill it with water, or will that happen on its own next time the engine runs?

3) Is there any risk of an airlock or other problem that can occur--everything is running smoothly, and I'm trying to keep it that way, and don't want to create a problem through my preventative maintenance.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, advice.

Frank.

jkm

Member III
I can't speak specifically about your set up, but on my boat the intake screen that gets clogged is bolted onto the hull, BEFORE the seacock.

Recently I dived down and found the intake to be 50% clogged. I used a wine cork screw to clean it.

If this helps sbi

John

CaptnNero

Accelerant
cooling it

I want to do a preventive clean/empty the raw water intake screen/filter on my Universal 5416 motor. I think it just unscrews, then the screen is accessible to clean of any debris, and then reattach.

My questions are:

1) If I close the raw water seacock, is there any other source of water to be aware of other than the contents of the filter/screen? I don't want to face an unexpected flood. :confused:

Our M25XP has a Groco raw water strainer with stainless basket below the waterline before the raw water pump. Cooling for the engine is a closed system with the raw water being used as secondary cooling via a heat exchanger. The raw water system exits into the engine exhaust and that terminates above the waterline so there is not a flooding issue when the intake seacock is closed, other than the small amount in the system above the filter.

2) When I clean the screen and empty the filter container, do I need to refill it with water, or will that happen on its own next time the engine runs?

I fill the raw water filter with water to make the priming easier when the engine is running. You want to minimize the time the raw water pump impeller runs dry so it is prudent to minimize it's work. Some even squirt a little dishwashing liquid in the raw water pump access port to lubricate it until is gets a steady flow of water again. A few years ago I saw blue instead of black impellors available. Though pricey the blue ones (nitrile ?) are supposed to be much less sensitive to such abuse. The next impellor I install will be one of the durable blue ones.

3) Is there any risk of an airlock or other problem that can occur--everything is running smoothly, and I'm trying to keep it that way, and don't want to create a problem through my preventative maintenance.

That has not been an issue with our three Universal engines which all had the same raw water setup. Of course you still need to make sure that the system starts pumping again quickly just as you would anytime the engine is started. Who knows, maybe the impellor will take that opportunity to fail. ;)

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for your replies. If anyone has exactly the same engine as mine (Universal #5416, 16 horsepower), and has any additional information, that would be great as well.
Frank.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Depending on the height of the engine with respect to the filter, you could get some backwash from the water that accumulates in the engine chambers to dribble out when you disconnect the filter.

The engine will probably "burp" itself in a few seconds but it wouldn't hurt to refill the filter canister with as much water as possible.