Cabin Wood and Finish

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
Can anyone help me with this?
I am not very experienced with wood and such. What are the types of wood used in the cabin? Such as the bulkheads and cabinets. I have noticed many are using mahogany and other types of wood instead of teak. I want to make sure I get a tone match before I spend all the time and money. I am going to build an entertainment center in the v-berth bulkhead. This area is typically used for the anchor rode, but on my 67 E26 it is just a hole without any access from the deck. I can fit a 9 inch T.V. / VCR combo and the CD player in quite nicely. :confused:

ccorcoran

Member II
While I'm not sure about your particular model, I've owned several Ericsons and ALL have used teak or teak veneer in the interior (in fact, that's one of the things they're known for). I suspect, that's what you have and would need to fabricate your new AV center. There are lots of sources for solid teak and teak veneer (teak overlay on plywood). Solid teak is pricey, but beautiful. Good luck.

Chris

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Brent,
I had to replace the piece of wood where the top of the ladder mounts and without even thinking about it I bought a piece of Apatong which is a type of mahogony from the Philipines. I was able to match the old piece perfectly in shape but, when I varnished it I realized that it was not the same wood as the rest. While it functions well to hold the ladder brackets it looks funny because the color and texture of the wood is too different. So now I have a to do project of replacing the replacement with teak.
Your 1967 E26 Pal
Jim

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Brent,
Ericson usually used teak or mahogany in the interiors. Given
the vintage of your boat I 'm guessing it's probably phillipine
mahogany. The notable exception is the E46 which was
done mostly in oak. Whatever you do to the chain locker
I'd make it non permanent or easily removable to protect
the resale value of the boat.

Martin

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks everyone:
I bought a small piece of mahogany plywood for the shelf, which will not be seen and the doors will be made from solid teak stock. Yes, the shelf will be removable and the doors will always be a nice addition to the locker. I will submit photos when completed.