Cabin top sail tracks

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat came with two 18" sail tracks either side of the cabin top hatch, which puts them just a couple of feet behind the mast,. I have never used them, does anyone know what they are for?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

JMS

Member II
My boat came with two 18" sail tracks either side of the cabin top hatch, which puts them just a couple of feet behind the mast,. I have never used them, does anyone know what they are for?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

The tracks were a factory option and were used for sheetiing a genoa staysail under a jibtop. The doublehead rig was really effective for close reaching. The 35-2's racked up a lot of distance race wins in the '70's and you could make a pretty good case that the 35-2's racing record was second only to the Cal 40.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the replies, but I think we are talking about different sail tracks. I am searching all my files for a picture, which would help me clarify.

There are two sets of eighteen inch sail tracks on the cabin top, one set just a couple of feet behind the mast, the other at the very aft end of the cabin top. The picture of the staysail is using the aft set, I can not figure out what the forward set are for.

My boat also came with a storm jib, which I have never used (not really necessary in San Diego), but only a very small sail would use tracks that far forward - anybody used it to know?

They are in the location a vang would be if I had one, but I have never seen a vang rigged in a manner that would need them.

Morgan - I got back into the country a couple of weeks ago, and have just been to look at the boat. A depressing sight... But I may have time to do something about it now. A bit of a climate shock coming to the Erie canal right now, too.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cabin top track

The fwd tracks may be for a high aspect #4 or similar heavy air jib-I know we considered using cabin top tracks on the 35-2 "Providence"-or they could be tracks for a smaller high aspect staysail as opposed to the old school genoa staysails that were common when the 35-2 was new.

I am sure it is one of these (or both) things.

Cheers,
S