Cabin Sole Finish

GMaurer

Member II
I've used nothing but Cetol on the sole for many years.
The sole is physically in great condition, but the Cetol is leaving a dull, yellowish finish.
Suggestions for an alternate?
Surface preparation required?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Although I'm no expert, especially compared to the folks on this site :egrin:, I redid our cabin sole earlier this year and am pleased with the result. There used to be a product made specifically for this purpose that was very popular, but they apparently went out of business.

I did a light sanding to get rid of gloss, dirt, etc. and refinished with two coats of semi-gloss exterior polyurethane. It is holding up well, not too slippery when wet and looks good.

I would suspect that you will have to sand the cetol back to wood--very carefully as the veneer is thin and you don't want to sand through it.

Others may have better options.

Frank

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Ultimate Sole. It was good stuff - I'm parsing out my can of it slowly...

Someone suggested what they use on basketball courts as a possible alternative but I have no idea what it is.

vbenn

Member III
I've used up all of my Ultimate Sole. The Epiphanes tech dept told me that I can use any of their varnishes to overcoat Ultimate Sole after a light sanding.

My cabin sole has a few dark areas near the edges, apparently from moisture infiltration. Does anyone have experience with correcting this?

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
PSC Ericson 380 #22