Cabin sole adhesive

bayhoss

Member III
I'm about to put down a new cabin sole in my 28. Does anyone know of a good adhesive to use?

Thank you,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Usually installing a new sole involves securing teak & Holly plywood panels with screws, preferably set flush with the surface to allow easy access to the bilges.
Are you planning to glue down new veneer over the old sole? Put down new plywood?

(I guess I am having trouble picturing just how you are going about the work.)

Sorry to be so imagination-deprived......
:confused:

Loren

bayhoss

Member III
Thanks for the reply! The old one consists of plywood with the teak and holly veneer that is 5/16" thick. Other than a burnt orange adhesive that was as mean as you can get to remove, had no other fastener(s). No screws or anything. I found that to be somewhat odd considering how well built the Ericson line was. Perhaps this is not the original floor?

Best,
Frank

P.S. It was good to see your name after a long absence from this site.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
whoops! forgot to mention that the plywood was glued directly to the fiberglass.

In my experience, the 80's Ericson's had their T&H sole pieces laid in an adhesive and also screwed and plugged. Looked nice when new, but is really difficult to remove the sections later without destroying them. There is a quite a longish thread here on the whole "process."
I would never advise glueing the sole down.
OTOH my suggestions for securing world peace have been ignored also. :rolleyes:

Lots of threads here about soles and here is just one:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?1526-Removal-of-glued-down-cabin-sole

Regards,
Loren

bayhoss

Member III
Thanks for the reply - the current sole is/was all in one piece. I suspect that its not the original. I may forgo the teak and holly and try bamboo instead. First I have to sell the admiral on the idea. I wouldn't worry over being ignored with a suggestion for world peace - they don't listen to me either!

Best,
Frank :egrin: