Bung Installation

Brian K

Member III
I'm about to re-install the deck top handrails on my E32-200. In the past I've used waterproof wood glue to secure bungs, then after the glue has dried I sand them down smooth and begin the finishing process. But I've never had to remove any bungs that I have installed, so I don't know if my method makes removal difficult.

My question is how do most people install bungs? Do you use glue or not?

Mike Loft

Member I
Brian: No real experience with this myself, but here's an article by the Pardeys. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance-articles/19760-drilling-filling-holes-your-boat.html
They and most other writers use an adhesive-- glue, epoxy, etc., but not 3M 5200. Notice that the Pardey article says to coat the bottom of the plug with epoxy. Others say to coat only the sides of the plug, or you can look forward to having hardened epoxy in the screwhead grooves the next time it's necessary to remove them.

u079721

Contributing Partner
If you think it's likely that you will ever want to remove the bungs I guess I would not go with epoxy, as that might be very hard to eventually remove.

The classical technique was always to dip the end of the bung in varnish before pounding it in and letting it dry.

Emerald

Having just removed a bunch of bungs that were glued on top of the screws, I can confirm that it was a royal PITA to get the glue out of the screw heads to then remove the screws. A 15 minute job turned into well over an hour. Glue the sides if needed to spare the next poor sole who has to take it apart.

Mindscape

Member III
Question on removing the handrails

Brian - don't want to hijack your thread but wanted to ask what you found when removing the rails. How were they secured? I've always been worried about removing mine should I need to get to the underside of them to re-secure them.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Dip plug in varnish, drive in with soft headed mallet. Varnish causes wood to swell. Further varnishing causes plug to further swell. If you have any love for a future owner do not use glue.

FWIW the handrails on my 89' E-38 were held down with wood screws into the cabin top. Through bolting would be much better but with the headliner it would be a PITA to retro fit.

Brian K

Member III
Frank, the handrails were fairly easy to remove. They are just screwed down with large flat head #3 Philips SS sheet metal srews through the handrail into the cabin top. There is nothing holding the rail from inside the cabin, thank God. I used a couple of 1.5" putty knives and a large flat blade screwdriver at each attachment point to work the caulk and free the rail. There are 5 attachment points on each side with a total of 9 screws on each side. The bungs came out easily using a very small screwdriver and digging the bung out starting in the middle of the bung. Care must be taken not to mess up the edge of the hole.

I believe I'm the first owner of this boat to remove the rails. It looks like they had been refinished in place in the past. I'm a firm believer that the proper way to refinish exterior teak is to remove it, sand it down, refinish and then re-install. I tried a half hearted attempt at refinishing one handrail while it was on the boat last year but was not satisfied with the results.

The question of reinstalling the bungs came up because the old ones really did come out cleanly and fairly easily. It just got me thinking that maybe the original ones were not glued in at all. I'm going to try the dipping in varnish method that Ted described for the reinstallation process. I may even soak them in varnish for a little while since they appear to be just a tiny bit small for the holes.

Thanks for the feedback team!!!

Dave Hussey

Member III
sorry for the hijack, but here's another handrail installation question: normally the E27 is supposed to have a pair of 7 hoop handrails on the cabin top. I guess the previous owner removed them and filled the holes, but I want to install handrails for my safety. The ones at the Yachty Candy Store are straight as a rail, but the cabin top is curved. How does one bend teak to that arc ?????????? :esad:
I would like to pre bend them so there is less likelyhood of grain fractures or fastener pullout...etc... any advice would be appreciated.

stuartm80127

Member II
bungs

my policy is to dip the bung wide part into west epoxy then tap it into hole. Yes upside down. Quickly remove excess with acetone. Cure 2 days and chisle off near base then sand flat. To remove years later, drill out bung and when at screw use a grout knife as it gets in the screw head. Another thought is to coat the screw top with car wax before screwing in. That way epoxy will stick to wood but not screw. I dont plan on removing the screws i set.

bayhoss

Member III
Hello to all, I just removed the bungs and grabrails on my 86' E28. My experence is somewhat different than what I'm reading. My handrails were held in place with nine wood screws - just like everyone else. But then there was the adheasive from Hell. It took six hours to free the handrails. To remove the bungs I used a small knife and went into the center and then gently pryed up. That freed enough space to get the screwdriver into the screw. Then backing the screw out removed the rest of the bung. They came out without difficulty. I plan to reinstall with varnish only.

Best,
Frank

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Handrails

Very interesting....I think I would go the varnish route also.....

Not to hijack the thread, BUT.....my handrails have been sanded down to the point of the screw heads showing, and in all probability the remaing bungs are paper thin. Likewise, the teak cap rail board on the transom of my 35-3.

Question: does anyone know the original thickness and width of the handrails, and the thickness of the cap rail board.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, someone had to say it

Very interesting....I think I would go the varnish route also.....
Not to hijack the thread, BUT.....my handrails have been sanded down to the point of the screw heads showing, and in all probability the remaing bungs are paper thin. Likewise, the teak cap rail board on the transom of my 35-3.
Thanks

Said in jest, but not completely...
"Come over to the Dark Side (of the hand rail force) . Change to Stainless Steel."

May the mirror polish be with you!
:cool:
Loren

bayhoss

Member III
Mort, the handrails on my boat as far as I can see are pretty true to dimension. If you like I can get the dimensions for you. I have them off and in the shop. My boat is a 28 but the thickness / width should be the same.

Best,
Frank

Brian K

Member III
Mort, I replaced the "cap" on the transom of my E32-200 last year. What a royal PITA that job was. But it came out great. The transom cap trim is 1/2" thick. I ended up using Sepela (?) mahogany. I bought a 7' x 16" wide and 1" thick. Then I paid the lumber guy to remove half of what I had just purchased. Yup, I paid to have the 1" piece planed down to 1/2". You need to stick with the original dimension so your stern pulpit rails all line up properly. Good luck.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Reviving a 13-year-old thread to ask if anyone knows what diameter the bungs are on a 35-3 handrail? Not on my boat, and neglected to measure them the other day when I realized I should replace a few.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reviving a 13-year-old thread to ask if anyone knows what diameter the bungs are on a 35-3 handrail? Not on my boat, and neglected to measure them the other day when I realized I should replace a few.
I just being a small package of 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2 ones with me to do these projects. Having had a couple of fails using a chisel to cut them flush, I usually use a small "Japanese" style flexible back saw.
All those words.... and I still never answered the question! (sigh) :(

gabriel

Live free or die hard
As Ted already mentioned, I believe varnish is the standard procedure for securing bungs. Also, varnish will easily sand down along with the wood.