Bulkhead Creaking - E35-2

bradh

Member II
I get a fair bit of low frequency wave action at my dock. Even in the slip, I get creaking at the top of the bulkhead (the one that makes the front of the nav station and the settee/stove). The bulkheads are in good shape. The decks above them were re-cored 5-7 years ago and are not soft. My boat has the fiberglass headliner and the creaking seems to come from the slot in the headliner for the top of the bulkhead. As the boat rolls and flexes, I can feel that the bulkhead moves ever so slightly in the headliner slot.

I am considering adding some tabbing between the bulkhead and the hull, but there is no guarantee that will help and could make it worse. Suggestions or thoughts?

Brad

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the parts aren't physically joined, I'd try lubricants first. Start with dry lube, see if the movement quiets down. Grease, if you can get it in there.

That sometimes works for boats with binding floorboards, at least.

Glyn Judson

Stopping that squeak.

Brad, I second Christian's idea. A can of silicone spray might be just what the doctor ordered. If it comes with a red plastic tube, even better. Stick that baby right up in there and give it a good spray all along the top of the bulkhead. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

bradh

Member II
Good idea

I grabbed some silicone lube last night and sprayed it into the headliner/bulkhead joint. It seemed to help some but not fully alleviate the creak (luckily it was blowing on the lake last night). I think I need to let it work itself in and do a couple of applications. Will follow-up. Thanks!