Bruce King & Hinckley?

celtium

Member III
Just saw the ad for a E-41 under for sale, very nice looking rig!!

Reading the ad on the owners site, it made comment that " Designed by Bruce King -- Hinckly's lead designer -- and solidly built of fiberglass by Ericson Yachts." Bruce was Hinckley's lead designer?

Didn't know that, but if true that explains the close resemblance of the E-41!

Comments?

Jay
Celtica,E38-200
SF Bay

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yep, it looks like he's been doing a bit of designing for Hinckley.

I guess this is where I should jump in. "a bit" is putting it mildly. Before
retiring, he did the T29C, T29R, 36' jet drive picnic boat, T40, T44,
DS42, and the SW 70 for Hinckley. There is almost 30 years between
the E41, and the designs for Hinckley.

Martin

celtium

Member III
S000

Hi Martin,

Then there was no connection between the E41 and the Hinckley design of the time?

Yesterday I was fooling around after reading the note on the E41 ad and ran a comparison of the H40 & E41 on Sail Calculator and they are darned similar, guess it was just competitive thing between company's?
Sail calc chart: http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

Interesting.

Jay

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Maybe part of the reason Hinkley hired him was he was a good match with their sense of style.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Jay,
If you are referring to the Hinckley Bermuda 40, that was designed
by Bill Tripp. My father didn't start designing for the Hinckley
Co. until the 1990's. If you want a real comparison, you should do
a stablility calculation for each boat. I believe you would see very
different results. The E41 was designed to the old CCA rule back in
the late 60's and I consider it a classic.

Martin

celtium

Member III
Hi Martin,

I do understand what you said previously, that your dad wasn't involved with Hinckley until well after Ericson was no more, correct?

Prior to your clarification, I thought it was interesting what the gentleman selling the E41 was saying about the connection. From that, for fun, I ran the 'calcs' on the B40 and E41 and thought the similarities interesting, i.e.:

LOA: E41 41.02, B40: 40.59, LWL: E41 28.87, B40 28.87, capsize ration: E41 1.73, B40 1.63, hull Speed: E41 7.2, B40 7.2, Disp to LWL: E41 373, B40 321, Motion Comfort: E41 35.57, B40 35.57

There are also distinct differences as well i.e.: Beam E41 10.54, B40 11.76, Disp: E41 17303, B40 20106 but that's about it.

So it looked like an interesting possibility of a connection, but I sincerely thank you for clarifying the point by the E41 seller.

For what it's worth...I really like the E41 just couldn't find one in the condition I wanted when I was in the market, but am very happy with the E38 I did purchase.

LTR - Jay :)

Last edited: