Broken throttle cable

csoule13

Member III
After a few successful sails this summer, I was starting to think that maybe out boat problems were behind us. No such luck.

After getting the mainsail up this evening, I brought the throttle back to idle cutoff, and the engine kept running. Thinking I just hadn't snugged it back enough, I gave it an extra little shove. The level came back alright, and the engine died as it should with no gas flow. When trying to bring the throttle back to it's normal idle position, it wouldn't move.

Climbing into the lazarette, it appears the insulation around the cable is shot, and the cable fray. So, I assume this is the cause of my woes.

We managed to limp it to a dock, tie her up and walk back to the car, but I gotta tell you, it's this type of stuff that makes me want to strap a grenade to the hull and leave her at the bottom of the Chesapeake.

We'll see what the mechanic says, but it's irritating to have this happen on a boat that we've taken out all of a dozen times since purchase.

Guy Stevens

Stay the course...

This is normal for a newly purchased vessel, no matter what the size.

The things that have not been quite maintained to the best standards because interest in the boat declined, or the budget for the boat declined, now need to be addressed.

Worst is if the boat sat for a while without being used, a lot of the systems don't like not being used, and tend to fail when restarted.

Even if purchasing a new boat, these things do happen. I have a client that just purchased a vessel for over a million and a half new. The list of failed items on it the first two months were staggering. At the same time this is a normal set of problems.

Stay the course, and have fun with the boat.

Also I would recommend learning how to fix these little things yourself. It will increase your confidence in the boat, and reduce the cost of boating drastically.

Be forewarned though, there will be more of these little things.

Guy
:)

csoule13

Member III
Thanks Guy. It's a little alarming that something that seems this considerable to fix can fall under "little things".

Curious if there were possible signs we missed of impending failure. The throttle has always seemed gummy and stiff.

As a bonus, while the mechanic was poking around getting some duct tape and bailing wire set up to limp the boat back to the home marina, he found that the pipe to the sink is cracked, which explains the water in the bilge and no water coming out of the sink. At least it's a good excuse when the women folks wonder why they can wash up below deck.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Don't Feel Alone

Reading of your plight and the replys above I just felt I had to share.....

Fourty-eight years, six boats, and nothing changes....of these, three were brand new.....disasters......Murphy's law ran over......One used bought from a good friend....only reason I had no problems was that I helped him fix his factory flaws.....the rest had thier problems including two with the cable problem...your boat will take all the time you are willing to give it, and sometimes you get to feel that the reward was not worth the aggravation....but hang in there....a few great sails and all will be forgotten.....I should have given up a long time ago but it is my addiction....

716Ericson27

Lake Erie Viking
It is a love hate....but the love always wins!

I agree with everyone above, hang in there, it is all part of the process. I am six months into purchasing a new to me E-27. I was happier then a pig in shit the day I bought her. Thought it was the perfect "turn key" boat at the "perfect price" (side note: the PO never sold it to me as "turn-key" it is just what my overly excited mind told me when I was still chasing the sea-girl of my dreams) Once she was mine, and I started to spend some real time on her there were countless items that I totally overlooked when purchasing the boat. The worst being a through hull that needed to be replaced. I went to bed that night very frustrated, telling myself how could you have missed this when buying the boat, a through hull of all things! Then I started reading up on how to fix this pesky through hull, and then I fixed it but realized I may not have fixed it exactly as it should, and then came the nightmares of my boat sinking! But alas, there was this amazing internet group of current and past Ericson owners where I was able to sort my head straight and realize all the help and support I needed was right at my finger tips!
Long story short the through hull fix might not have been exactly the "proper fix" but it did fix it, and most important the people here helped reassure me along the way. As Mort said, a few good sails after fixing anything makes the previous frustrations feel petty. Keep at it and don't underestimate what you can do yourself. With this site, youtube, and all the search engines out there, it really is amazing what you can accomplish yourself with a little time and patience. Fair Winds!

windjunkee

Member III
That happened to me. Turned out to be the shift cable clamp. Easy fix.

Wait til you have weird things happen - like the engine overheating - but only on starboard tack. Or the head sink, which spontaneously sets up a siphon when you're heeled.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Emerald

And at some point, things like joker valve will take on a whole new meaning, like, who was the joker who came up with this bright idea!

:devil:

geoatk

Member II
I think I bought the same Ericson 27

When I was looking at my boat, it looked beautiful. Engine was clean, the sails were good, etc. After I took ownership, the engine was covered with rust, seacocks frozen, shift cable rusted and the list goes on. I still love the boat but should have looked at it a little closer. I let my emotions take over but I would have bought her anyways. Bet I could have got a better deal.

Guy Stevens

Boats are always emotional purchases

There isn't a single person that ever bought a boat that didn't do it for emotional reasons.

We fall in love, and all of the faults of our purchases we are blind to when we buy them.

The trick is just like being in love and staying married. You have to learn to live with some of the faults, and fix some of the other ones! :)

Guy
:)

csoule13

Member III
So, here's the question. We're on the water, it's getting dark, and I've got a throttle stuck in idle cutoff(actually well back of that). What is the suggested duct tape fix to limp the boat back into harbor? If we could get the engine started, we could putter back in idle forward propulsion. I'll add that anything that involves climbing under the pedestal is a non-started. I don't fit - learned that the hard way.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I may not have understood correctly (and I'm in a hurry) but if your throttle cable is not working you can move the throttle attachment lever on the engine manually. You can unattach the cable. Hope that helps.
Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
So, here's the question. We're on the water, it's getting dark, and I've got a throttle stuck in idle cutoff(actually well back of that). What is the suggested duct tape fix to limp the boat back into harbor? If we could get the engine started, we could putter back in idle forward propulsion. I'll add that anything that involves climbing under the pedestal is a non-started. I don't fit - learned that the hard way.

Long time readers will remember that I had a gear shift cable break on my 38 just as I was entering a harbor with rocks all around. I was able to quickly drop anchor and rig a jury fix with a broom handle operated from below. After rerouting and replacing the cable I came to learn that it's recommended by Nigel Calder to replace both throttle and gear shift cables every five years, and keep the old ones on hand as spares. But if all you need to do is limp back to your dock for the night, it would be worth the effort to learn ahead of time where the two cables attach to the engine down below. That way you would know what to disconnect to be able to effect a jury rig with your own broom handle or pliers. It may sound like a bit of work, but it's really no different than memorizing the location and function of every through hull (which you also need to do).

Have fun, enjoy the process, and realize that you can't do everything all at once.

Last edited:

Philip

Member I
cable zip ties to the rescue

I had a similar thing happen to me while on a bareboat charter. Going into the dock to check in with Canadian customs in BC.... the gear box would not shift out of forward. Turned out the cable housing had split open due to wear of the cable sliding inside it at a bend and the cable would bulge out. Rather than wait for the charter company to arraing for a fix.... multiple zip ties were put around the split area ( about 7 in a 2 inch area). worked fine as a temporary fix. Called the charter company so they could schedule a proper fix upon return.

jreddington

Member III
Trying to look on the bright side.

The one good thing about this is when the cable is replaced, the smoothness of the lever movement afterwards will be amazing.

While in there, I highly recommend replacing the shift cable also. Replacement of these cables is not particularly difficult (except for the usual access problems and uttering critical words). There are some "fiddley bits" working on the pedestal end. While you are in there, it's worth attacking both cables.

When I first bought my boat, both levers were quite stiff. This made fine adjustment of throttle adjustment difficult. Then, instead of breaking, my throttle cable bound up. Replaced it and was giddy that the throttle moved "like butta". Then, the still stiff shift cable broke (insert your favorite "oh @#%&" here). Fortunately, in both instances I had savvy enough crew that I could pop down and operate the engine end of the cable while they took over the helm.

With the experience of the first cable replacement, the second took about half the time.

Fair Winds,

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Which end up?

Hi guys,

I replaced the throttle and clutch cables an ran them up the steering pedestal. That is when I noticed the ends were not the same. Well I must have put one of them
in backassward. These are red coated cables and they fit fine I just need someone to tell me which end goes to the shift gears on the pedestal.

Mark

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Get it figured out yet?

Can you compare the new set to the set you took out?

This thread has convinced me that since I just spent about half a lifetime getting a 34 year-old pedestal apart to expose the steerer assembly (the chain and sprocket) that I should replace the 11+ year old throttle and shifter cables while I have it all apart. Even though the reassembly will be done with all kinds of no-seize.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Learning is enlightening

Can you compare the new set to the set you took out?

This thread has convinced me that since I just spent about half a lifetime getting a 34 year-old pedestal apart to expose the steerer assembly (the chain and sprocket) that I should replace the 11+ year old throttle and shifter cables while I have it all apart. Even though the reassembly will be done with all kinds of no-seize.

Hi footrope;

I spent time today completing the throttle and transmission adjustments. Here is what learned

1) I thought there was a difference in ends because when I initially put them in place, one end was longer than the other.
Lesson learned: Both ends are the same. The cable inside the sheath might be extended out one end more than the other.
2) When installing the cables, configure the steering pedestal first, then make adjustments at the transmission and throttle end.

I was intimidated about putting the pedestal together and making adjustments but it took about 3 hours once I overcame my fear

If you are any where near Annapolis Maryland, I'll give you a hand

MJS

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Congratulations!

Sounds like you did some nice work. One thing to think about after three hours well-spent: Make sure the shifter is pushing the transmission arm fully each way. It is apparently bad for a transmission not to be fully in gear, which is accomplished by hitting the lever stop on the transmission in both forward and reverse.

On 1) I removed my cables just last Friday. They are the same on each end, once you remove the various parts that you have to re-use.
On 2) Sounds like a good plan. I'll try it that way.

Thanks for the offer but I am based in Seattle. We spent about 48 hours in Annapolis about 10 years ago while on vacation primarily to see Wash. DC. I still have the t-shirt. Seems like a great town. We need to get back there.

Fair winds,
Craig

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member

Sounds like you did some nice work. One thing to think about after three hours well-spent: Make sure the shifter is pushing the transmission arm fully each way. It is apparently bad for a transmission not to be fully in gear, which is accomplished by hitting the lever stop on the transmission in both forward and reverse.

On 1) I removed my cables just last Friday. They are the same on each end, once you remove the various parts that you have to re-use.
On 2) Sounds like a good plan. I'll try it that way.

Thanks for the offer but I am based in Seattle. We spent about 48 hours in Annapolis about 10 years ago while on vacation primarily to see Wash. DC. I still have the t-shirt. Seems like a great town. We need to get back there.

Fair winds,
Craig

You also footrope.