Broken Spreader Bracket

harrytheboss

Hi All-

There are a few posts across the forum about this, but I wanted to see if there was anyone who had any firsthand success dealing with such a repair.

I was at my mooring the other day, yanked on one of my side stays in just the wrong way and the starboard side spreader disconnected clean from the mast. Sent my buddy up and it sheared right under the top bolt into the mast, and right above the thru-bolt that holds in the inner stays onto the mast. We attempted a JB-weld, however that lasted about 30 minutes before disconnecting from the mast in the same way.

Our current plan is to take the boat into the marina and stabilize the mast with a crane since in order to fully remove the part, we will need to remove the thru-bolt connecting the inner stays. Alternatively, we may drop the mast entirely while this happens.

There are a few metallurgists in town whom I intend to talk to this week about welding the part back together. I understand this is a multi-step process that needs to be done correctly in order to preserve the strength of the piece; and that not all aluminum can even be welded, and I'll double check that it can be done before we take everything down.

The other option is to buy a new set of spreaders and brackets; while I'm not elated at that thought as it means taking everything down; swapping and lifting back up; I don't know of anywhere that sells a single or pair of brackets that will do the job.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author

Very common issue on older 27's and 29's What boat do you have? Lots of good info in the above thread.

harrytheboss

Very common issue on older 27's and 29's What boat do you have? Lots of good info in the above thread.
1976 23-MKii. Same mast as 25 and 27.

harrytheboss

1976 23-MKii. Same mast as 25 and 27.
after digging through the forums I think I'm gonna pull the part off the mast and draft a model of the part in CAD. Have a friend with access to a CNC router that I can use to machine a new part.

Is there a specific alloy of aluminum I should seek to use?

harrytheboss

Update 7/25/2022. I have the piece drafted and I am planning to 3D print a model of the bracket to create a mold and then cast a new aluminum bracket.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Update 7/25/2022. I have the piece drafted and I am planning to 3D print a model of the bracket to create a mold and then cast a new aluminum bracket.
Be sure to allow for (calculated) shrinkage of the metal when finalizing the model. I have a friend that has worked for years in the foundry and tooling business and has talked about this.

harrytheboss

Be sure to allow for (calculated) shrinkage of the metal when finalizing the model. I have a friend that has worked for years in the foundry and tooling business and has talked about this.
good callout. I found this is in my research and I figure if I can get within a ballpark size I can finish it by hand to fit exactly.