bow chock/fairlead

BurntEnd

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement (or ideally pair) for an anchoring/mooring chock/fairlead for an E39?

This specifically came off a 39 flattop; I'm not sure if other models besides the 39B had the same fixture.
I have one that is damaged beyond repair and the other "good one" (shown is cracked), and so far, I have not seen anything that will fit that spot. Otherwise, when I deal with the other gel coat/structure issues, I'm heading toward significant changes to the rail and the type and likely location of what is used to replace them.

Thoughts?
MooringFairlead_E39.png

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know nothing about this, but I'd ask a machinist if they could be copied. It might have to be a sand casting, but maybe a hunk of aluminum could be drilled and ground to shape. I might call Garhauer and have a conversation. Custom parts are a good question for owners of old boats. Sometimes it's impossibly expensive, but you never know. And you have an example.

As mentioned it would seem reasonable to have a machine shop copy the part, not sure what the material is - coated bronze? If you like to diy metal it could also maybe be cut out of a block of stainless/aluminum.
Another option may be to have a welder/machine shop repair the crack with braze/weld but I understand the desire to get a replacement.

Did a quick search for “sunk fairlead” and it looks like Davey & Company has a couple ($) off-the-shelf options that are similar but doubtfully a drop in replacement

It seems the name for these may more accurately be “rail fairlead” rather than “sunken” if searching. But still seems tough to find a drop in replacement off the shelf

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
It might be cheaper and/or easier to modify the fiberglass to accept an existing metal part than fabricate a pair from metal blanks. Depending on which materials you're comfortable with. Of course, it wouldn't be concours original, if that matters to you.

Second Star

Member III
You might be able to get them re-plated at a chrome plating facility. A local auto customizing shop could give you a lead on a plating shop. Or a collector car or hot rod club.

BurntEnd

I know nothing about this, but I'd ask a machinist if they could be copied. It might have to be a sand casting, but maybe a hunk of aluminum could be drilled and ground to shape. I might call Garhauer and have a conversation. Custom parts are a good question for owners of old boats. Sometimes it's impossibly expensive, but you never know. And you have an example.
As far as I can tell, they are chrome/nickel-plated bronze.

Unfortunately, some of this metal work and my doing it is beyond my current skillset coupled with lack of facilities to do it.

My mind went straight to what I assumed (yet to be proven) may be the most expensive option of custom casting or maybe c-n-c (which may be more $$$ than casting by the time I get a good g-code file to use). I was hoping to find an original/cheaper path to go down. The choice of the "sunken" word at least got me to expand my vocabulary of search terms and find a few more options I hadn't previously seen. I was still hung up on if it was a chock or a fairlead.

BurntEnd

It might be cheaper and/or easier to modify the fiberglass to accept an existing metal part than fabricate a pair from metal blanks. Depending on which materials you're comfortable with. Of course, it wouldn't be concours original, if that matters to you.
Unless I find/build a drop-in replacement, all of what I have seen, including the Spartan Marine one mentioned above, will require some modification of either the part or the toe rail.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Aluminum is what other Ericson models used for cleats and such, and it works fine (has to be anodized). Consider that the world needs all sorts of simple replacement parts for trucks, cars, bird baths, grocery shelves and so on, and when I worked briefly in a welding shop we made anything you could think up, often for cash, off the books. That was 60 years ago, but I figure the shop mentality is the same. They would not, at least, be bored to have somebody hand them a bronze fairlead and say, can you reproduce this?

When some lunkhead backs his semi into a loading dock and wrecks the magnesium dock board and the steel guardrails and the bracket for his set of custom blue LED decorative lamps, there are no easy replacements. A shop fixes or re[produces them.

The most disorganized welding shop imaginable* made my new stern chainplate. Cut from stainless stock with a little plasma device, cold bent, drilled and countersunk with rusty bits. "Come back tomorrow." I was impressed, but the huge welder just said, "this is nothing."* Don't get me started on actual machinists, who I swear can make anything.

So I say ask around. The next generation may have nobody to ask, but I hope we aren't there yet.

*Covid put that welding shop out of business.

BurntEnd

It seems the name for these may more accurately be “rail fairlead” rather than “sunken” if searching. But still seems tough to find a drop in replacement off the shelf

I looked at this one and wondered how far the void cavity that is in this design slides over a portion of the rail on each end could be edited to fit the OEM spot. I need to pull some accurate measurements to see if its do-able.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I looked at this one and wondered how far the void cavity that is in this design slides over a portion of the rail on each end could be edited to fit the OEM spot. I need to pull some accurate measurements to see if its do-able.
I took your photo and sent it to a great shop in Annapolis called Bacon Sails that, besides making and repairing sails, is a consignment shop for used sail boat parts. I even have a few pieces there myself. Anyway, they replied that they would take a look for your part in their inventory and although it’s a long shot you never know what treasures a sailor will find at Bacon. Personally I just wouldn’t modify the fiberglass on your boat to make something else fit but rather, like Christian suggests, find a small machine shop that can reproduce what you have. My dad was a machinist and yes, he could make anything, God rest his soul.