Bottom Paint

MikeG

Member I
Hello all,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Is any one can tell me how many cans of paint do I need for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st1:Sn>Ericson</st1:Sn> 32-3 to paint the bottom?
What brands of paint and fairing compound is should I use?
How long it take to do a Job?
What tools I have to use?
<o:p> </o:p>
This is my 1st bottom paint!
The yard charging a12$ per foot including materials.
Best regards,
<?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:smarttags" /><st2:personName><st1:GivenName>Mike</st1:GivenName> <st1:Sn>G</st1:Sn></st2:personName>
NJ

Attachments

• er1.jpg
    er1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 66

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mike- There are a few questions that have to be asked first.
1. Are you putting on a Barrier Coat?
2. Why do you think you need fairing compound?
3. Do you know what "type" of paint is on the boat already?
4. Do you want a multi-season paint?

Rob Hessenius

MikeG

Member I
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st1:GivenName>Rob</st1:GivenName>,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
1. No<o:p></o:p>
2. I have to finish seam between keel and hull<o:p></o:p>
3. I don’t know what "type" of paint is on the boat, Is a way to identify?<o:p></o:p>
4. With a multi-season paint what are pros and cons?<o:p></o:p>
I’m in a process of buying this boat. This will be my 1<SUP>st</SUP> boat.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks,<o:p></o:p>
<st1:GivenName>Mike:confused: </st1:GivenName><o:p></o:p>

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Depends on what you want to do with the boat. If you want to race it, then you have to pay a lot more attention. I don't and use West Marine's CPP paint which you can get for $80/gallon when on sale (highly rated by Practical Sailor). However, I haul my boat every winter.

The boat takes a gallon of paint. For preparation, I use a paint scrapper to remove all the loose paint. My yard wants to charge $800 and they don't even do a good job of scraping. It takes me about three hours.

PS please don't use up all the emoticons (others might want to use them too:egrin: )

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mike- What I would do is to sand up your bottom, scraping off any sheeting of built up paint and feather out the edges. Wipe the boat down with Interlux 202 or acetone, tape off the waterline with 3M "blue colored" tape. Buy 2 gallons of whatever color you choose (looks like it was blue), Micron CSC, Micron Extra, Pettit Ultima Sr, or West Marine PCA, multi-season paint. I would buy the PCA because its $50 less than the other ones. Roll two gallons, which should be 2+ coats. Double up your coats on the leading edges of the bow, keel and rudder. Some will say to put a coat of different color on first as a indicater so you will know when to apply a new coat. I think its pretty easy to see when its time to re-coat. You should get 2+ years maybe you might need to touch up some.
Pro's for multi-season- You dont need to paint every year
No annual build up of layers of paint

Con's- Almost twice the price

As far as fairing the seam, I would use 3M 4200, why not 5200, cause it just is to damn tough to get it off.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Rather than applying a vis coat in a different color, just use a significantly different color from what's on there... Looks like it used to be light blue, so dark blue or a different color all together.
I agree with Rob, those are great paints that are pretty forgiving.
Chris