Bottom Paint.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I just got a notice from Jamestown Distributers that should be of concern to all Ericson owners planning to haul out for a "shave and Haircut" this year (me for one). It concerns the loss of the herbicide Igarol which is the main ingredient in many of the most popular bottom paints such as Micron Extra, Trinidad, Ultima, and several other popular brands. These paints will still be sold but with an inferior formula. Apparently Igarol will be available again later.

Perhaps someone on the site is more proficient at posting and can post the article. The word is buyer beware. :mad:

steven

Sustaining Member
Bob - thanks for heads up. Like many others right now, I'm in the middle of ordering paint (intending to go with Micron CSC to go over what's on there now - which has worked fine for two years in the water in Annapolis area estuary environment).

Anyone have a solution? I have used Interlux products for a couple of decades but can't keep track or what's what - there are so many, and they change names and formulations from time to time.

By the way - while we are on paint - should I use a different color so as to see the ablative waring out?

--Steve

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Bottom Paint

Steve, Jamestown Distributers has the Micron in stock with the Igoral in the formula. They stocked up when they found out it was being temporarily deleted. It may pay to buy early. A friend of mine with a Lord Nelson 37 used one coat of red then two coats of blue. He hauls when the red begins to show through. Here in the North West, he hauls every third year. He used to haul every other year just in case so the contrasting color has paid for him. My bottom needs a good sanding so I am considering a contrasting first coat.

Let me try the link to The Total Boat Article on this. If t doesn't work, perhaps I can get some instruction from Loren on how to make this link thing work.

http:/totalboatsshow.com/wordpress/2015/03/13/antifouling-companies-struggle-with-the-loss-of-herbicide-igarol/

Ps: This will be my first bottom job. Could you give me a rough idea how much paint per coat you use?

Last edited:

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Bottom Paint

Bob, I just did my 34 Ericson with Pettit last fall. It came in a two gallon per box container which is more than enough. I also have an O'Day 31 and use VC 17 on it. That is an entirely different product but it takes 3 gts. and I do it every year.
Ccaptain

environmental requirements for bottom paint

Hi,
The local marina here just finished painting my E27 with Micron CSC today, so I mentioned this thread to them while paying the bill.
They told me that the environmental requirements for bottom paint do not go into effect until 2020, with a gradual phase-in beginning in 2018.
I don't know if this is only for our state or local waters or if this is national, but al least here today the same ol paint is just fine for now.
They had a big poster and article on the wall about it.
tom

E27Bottom03-20-2015.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had them put on just one coat, given the uncertainty about having to take everything off anyhow one of these days.

After a year the diver still marks it "very good" (downm from excellent) condition.