Bottom Paint and Tiller / Rudder

Brisco

Member I
Hello,

Well for my first project I want to remove the Tiller / Rudder and repaint it. This will be a test run (for doing the entire bottom this spring) and first time using bottom paint for me.

I do not know what type of paint is on the bottom currently. (Hey Sven what type of paint is on the bottom / tiller?).

1) Any Advice on removing the tiller from a E23? Aside from tying a rope to it before I undo bolts;)

2) What type of paint do you recommend? or What brand? Is it best to stick with the same products from the same brand? (The boat is in an area of the marina which does not have very much current flowing through)

3) I will be sanding this by hand, as not to burn too deep with my power sander, Garage has a heater so I can make it room temp +, Its ventelated and I can leave it out there for several days to dry.

4) Anything else before I get started? I'm sure I will have questions down the road, but plan on retrieving the tiller & picking up some paint this weekend.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Todd,

I think we specified Petit Trinidad for the bottom paint based on what I'd read here.

I also think you are supposed to be able to lift off the rudder without undoing the bolts but either it is just too heavy or there was something keeping it from coming off. If you redo the bottom paint mark the waterline on the rudder too, for some reason it is 1" (or more ?) lower than on the hull, something we didn't notice until we got her back in the water at the yard.

(BTW, we may be moving up to Ventura West, at least temporarily, to cut down on our commute to San Diego)

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If the rudder is hung on the transom, as it appears in the documentation here on the site, seems like there should be some kind of pintle/gudgeon system that would allow it to be lifted off. There is probably also be some kind of locking mechanism, to keep the rudder from coming off accidentally, that would have to be moved out of the way to allow the rudder to be lifted.

On my old Laser the locking mechanism was just a metal tab that had to be compressed so the pintle could be lifted out of the gudgeon.