bottom cleaning

kylewilliams

I am new to having a boat in a slip in salt water (Los Angeles), and wonder what is a normal schedule for having the bottom cleaned? I know it needs new bottom ASAP, but even so is a bottom cleaning every month normal? the bottom cleaning diver in the neighborhood is telling me it is. Any thoughts would be mucn appreciated.
thanks
Kyle

Chris A.

Member III
Depends on you

Hi Kyle,

It depends on where you are, and even more importantly, what your preferences are. I would say that the vast majority of my cruising friends in the northeast, who haul their boats out of the water for the winter, do not have their bottoms "professionally" cleaned for the entire season. They may brush the water line themselves, but do not hire divers or have the boat hauled during the season to clean. Assuming one has some kind of antifouling paint on the bottom, the slime and any hard growth comes right off with a pressure washer at the end of the season.

Now my (casual) racing friends, myself included, work a bit harder than that and dive or have a diver clean a couple of times during a 6 month sailing season.

I know more serious racers and they are also very serious about a clean bottom and I don't know how frequently they are hauling out / diving but more frequently than me!

Some other board members who sail year 'round can comment on their rituals, but I have seen some real corn fields growing on the bottom of some live aboards- seems like it would take a whole tank of fuel just to back out of the slip!

Cheers,

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
As has been mentioned, it depends on your area--water temperature, the kinds of critters there, etc. Bottom paints also vary in their effectiveness, so it helps to know what paint you have and how that rates for your area. Asking others in the marina can get you information on how often most people clean the bottom and replace their zincs.

In our area (Vancouver Island, British Columbia), my boat needs cleaning monthly during the summer, a bit less during the shoulder seasons, and can last almost six months over the winter (even though I do sail every month). Zincs last about six months for the prop shaft and close to a year for the heat exchanger pencil zinc.

Hope that helps. It would be good if someone from your area could reply as well.

Frank

Glyn Judson

Frequency of the need to have bottom cleaning in SoCal.

Kyle, Welcome aboard. I'm just up the road a bit form you in Marina del Rey and have monthly bottom cleaning something like nine or 10 months out of the year. The remaining months are in the summer when the sun grows everything more aggressively and it's then that my dive service automatically switches to a twice monthly schedule. The poorer the condition of the bottom paint, the more frequently the bottom will need cleaning. By the way, consider doing the bottom paint yourself if you've not already thought of that. After proper prep, painting the bottom of a boat is no different from painting a bedroom. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

kylewilliams

thanks everybody. yes the So CAl area seems to be pretty fertile for bottom critters, and sounds like you are confirming what this dive fellow is telling me. I am planning to do the paint work myself. (I also need to replace a seacock while I am it.)

cheers
Kyle

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I am a little further up the coast in Channel Islands Harbor. Had my bottom repainted with Trinidad SR back in August. My diver wanted to let it sit for a while to thoroughly harden before he started cleaning again. I don't think he touched it for about two months. Was on a monthly schedule until I wanted to try to save a few bucks and went to an every other month schedule. Seems to be working OK.

BTW, if you run across a paint called California Bottomkote, avoid it. It was included as part of a special the yard was running about a year ago when I first had the bottom done. (I don't think it is made anymore, but some yards may still have some in stock; I think that's why they were offering it in their special.) Several other owners went for the same special and it didn't work well at all. The yard ended up having to repaint everyone's boat when we all complained. Paying a little extra for the Trinidad SR when the repaint was done was worth it.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I was also surprised to find out that monthly bottom cleaning was the norm for So Cal as well. My diver has been doing the bottom every month for the last 8 years with the exceptions being no cleaning for two or three months after haul outs and new bottom paint. I pay less than $30. bucks a month unless I need the zincs on the prop shaft and strut replaced, which I also have the diver do about once a year.

Where are you in LA Harbor?

Last edited:

kylewilliams

LA area

thanks everybody, great. info. I can't wait until I am experienced enough to be able to contribute help and wisdom!

I am actually in Dana Point for the time being. I may move up north a bit as opportunity allows. I am familiar with Marina Del rey and Newport Beach, not so much with the LA/long beach/San pedro areas. I hear that "Hurricaine Gulch" there in San Pedro is the best for sailing. Do any of you have opinions as to good marinas there?

thanks
Kyle

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Interesting Kyle,

There is another fellow from Dana Point that was also looking for advice about LA Marinas yesterday. Here is what I suggested:

Although the slips are cheap in Wilmington be aware that it will take you between 30 to 40 minutes to get out to open ocean. I recommend getting a slip at Al Larson's (inexpensive) on Terminal Island or Cabrillo Marina (not Cabrillo Way Marina!) or Holiday Harbor in San Pedro (West Channel) to be closer to open water.

Although a lot of folks do sail (race) inside the break wall in Hurricane Gulch, there is a lot of commercial traffic. Container & Cruise Ships as well as barges, tugs & fishing boats. I prefer to get well away from the harbor for day sails, head out 4 to 6 miles towards Catalina and the tac West up the coast past Pt. Fermin. I would pay the extra buck a foot not to have to spend all that time motoring up the main channel and dodging commercial traffic that you would be more likely to do if you were berthed in Wilmington.

I don't think Shoreline Marina in Long Beach accepts boats under 30'. You would have to look at Marina's in Alamitos Bay near Seal Beach. Also San Pedro is a lot closer to Catalina. Hope this helps show the lay of the harbors.

I think the Western part of San Pedro is very picturesque in it's own right. Not to mention Palos Verdes Peninsula just west of that.

Be ready for Lots Of Wind!

http://www.marinasonline.net/marinas...-larson-marina

http://www.cymcabrillo.com

http://www.holidayharborcm.com/index.html

Attachments

• LAHarborMap.jpg
    LAHarborMap.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

kylewilliams

Hi Jeff, thanks. that is good info. I did actually check out Al Larsen but they had no vacancy. I called Lighthouse and they offer a good deal but your are right, very far up the channel. I have not checked out cabrillo yet, but will on my next trip out. So many options.
cheers
kyle