Bosun's Chair E38

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I went up the mast last year with a burly non-sailing friend on the winch. I briefed thoroughly, but still he got a riding turn halfway up. Given the imperfect lead of halyard to genny winch, I should've foreseen that.

Now imagine explaining how a free a hard riding turn while dangling from the spreaders. ('Go below, find the knot book, look up "rolling hitch"' :))

He just yanked it out, but it did get my attention.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Overrides and such

I went up the mast last year with a burly non-sailing friend on the winch. I briefed thoroughly, but still he got a riding turn halfway up. Given the imperfect lead of halyard to genny winch, I should've foreseen that.

Now imagine explaining how a free a hard riding turn while dangling from the spreaders. ('Go below, find the knot book, look up "rolling hitch"' :))

He just yanked it out, but it did get my attention.

You might be able to change the lead into your primary winch to avoid an override, since your winches are raised on top of the fiberglass combing. Maybe a carefully placed snatch block...

On our Olson 34 I had to remount the winches on "risers" to solve that problem. I know of at least two other O-34 owners that have made that upgrade.
If we remount our housetop winches (where the halyards lead to) I am looking at putting a slight riser/wedge under each one to add some degrees to the line lead into the drums.

I am glad that you were able to address the situation from way up there "on high"....
:rolleyes:

Loren