Boot Stripe Paint Job - rewarding!

cawinter

Member III
I figured I put a few notes together on my recent repaint of my boot stripe. Applies to the cove stripe as well. After all, we are all despreately looking for the large-reward-with-little-work projects...

I had repainted my cove stripe a few years ago (after the rub-rail disaster) with Interlux Perfection. Turned out to be the most difficult piant job I ever did. Didn't thin enough, no time, painted late in the day, brush marks, sags...the whole ugliness of DIY.

Tackling the boot stripe was intended as ritualistic redemption and cleansing from previous sins. Here it goes:

1) Wiped clean w/ soap and water
2) Taped off w/ 1" blue tape
3) Thoroughly acetoned and wiped off
4) Sanded w/ 220 grit on small sanding block to give it good scuff (old, faded but solid Awlgrip base). Wipe down with 333
5) Rolled out 1 small can of Brightside thinned ~15% with fine foam roller (enough for both sides of the hull)
6) Remove tape when tacky. Let dry 24 h.
7) Retape carefully. Scuff w/ 320 grit on small sanding block. Wipe down with 333
8) Repeat 5 and 6
Let cure. The little organge bumps that I could have tipped out were so minimal that I didn't make the effort. They leveled somewhat. No sags!

Overall I am very impressed with the 4-5 hours of work (or something like that). I helped a few other folks with things, and when I came back I had that distinct feeling of love and affection that bonds us together... :)

In summary (especially for those of us not in the water yet), a great little project that is easy and brings the 'King-liness' back to the waterline. Have fun!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Oh damn! Now I'll have to do mine next spring If I want to keep up with the Winters. ;)

I had the same experience with my shear stripe, BTW.

What color is your trim? Mine is burgundy.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Dang, you guys retape between coats of paint? I've never even thought of doing that.

cawinter

Member III
Retaping

Dang, you guys retape between coats of paint? I've never even thought of doing that.

...well, they are ERICSONs, right? Seemed like the right thing to do when I looked at the tacky coat. Came out beautiful with very sharp lines! :egrin:

Tom, Flag Blue is my theme! Looks very nice when the sun sets and the last light of the day makes the hull and rigging glow...