Boomkicker on an E28+

While my mast is down, it seems a good time to eliminate the topping lift and put in a rigid vang. The Boomkicker looks interesting and is pretty affordable. Anyone out there have any experience with it????

Thanks

Mark Tuccillo
1983 E28+ "Wing It"

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Rod vang

I'm in the same state as you, have picked up this Winter the brackets and a PowerVang VX from West Marine. Telescoping feature gives a good range of length adjustment and a neat feature, the block and tackle is internal to the Vang assembly. Should make a clean and neat installation.

BobB

Member II
While my mast is down, it seems a good time to eliminate the topping lift and put in a rigid vang. The Boomkicker looks interesting and is pretty affordable. Anyone out there have any experience with it????

Thanks

Mark Tuccillo
1983 E28+ "Wing It"

I installed a boomkicker on my E27 two years ago. I like it a lot! Very simple to install and operate. The fiberglass rods are just stiff enough to keep the boom up without a topping lift; a very nice bonus. My only question is how long will the fiberglass last in the elements? BTW, their tech support is very good.

Bob

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Bob, a friend of mine in Annapolis put one of the first models on his S2 9.1 when they first came out. Still on there years later with no issues. He had wondered the same thing at first, but doesn't worry after like 10 years.

dc27

have boat, need time
If your still thinking about a rigid vang, take at the Garhauer. Love mine on my E-29, full control, easy to install and they are great to deal with....

I have pics of the mounts if your interested.

Mike T

i'm definitely interested! please post some pics, Mike -

larossa

Member II
PowerVang VX

I'm in the same state as you, have picked up this Winter the brackets and a PowerVang VX from West Marine. Telescoping feature gives a good range of length adjustment and a neat feature, the block and tackle is internal to the Vang assembly. Should make a clean and neat installation.

Greg,

On your E31 how are you clearing your hatch cover. Have you reversed the opening direction?

Just curious?

Brian
E31C owner

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Installing a Vang on a I31

Yes,
There will be a temp. reversal of the Saloon Hatch until I get my Butterfly Hatch built. (probably next year). Thereafter there's no problem with clearance. My hatches are getting seedy and are ready for replacement. I have a Bomar Ocean Series Low Profile rebuilt and ready to install on the fwd. cabin roof. Updated it with a slick shutter type blind and a second strut to make it more rugged. (ebay source and then replacement parts from Bomar gives me a "Good-as-New" Hatch for less then half the price)
Will paint the Alum. frame to match the deck color. Perhaps not as tasteful as the teak wood frame but I'm planning on some Ocean cruising eventually and the resistance to Green Water is a big plus.

Mike Thomas

Member II
DC27
Below are picture of the two mounts, once I get the mast back up and the vang mounted, I'll take some better overall shots. Another nice thing is that because Garhauer makes it to your specs, I didn't have to change the hatch..

Mike T

Attachments

• dcp_0793.jpg
    dcp_0793.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 52
  • dcp_0773.jpg
    dcp_0773.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 59
  • dcp_0792.jpg
    dcp_0792.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 57

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Say you want a Boom Kicker?

Check out eBay Item No. 130094796731. The Auction ends in a day and a half and there are currently no bids. New, or as new complete with mast and Boom Brackets.
Fill your Boots!

dc27

have boat, need time
yes, and there's a marine distributor on eBay working under the seller name "kelly_hanson" that has them in numbers, at better prices still.