Boom Vang Suggestions

MadMax

Member I
Hi All, we're getting ready for our first official summer sailing season on our E-27 "Variation". We are going to be day sailing mostly, no racing or anything like that and we need a boom vang. I've been looking at the different makes and models and my eyes are now glossed over so I come to you as a humble newbie looking for some suggestions, thanks.
MM

Sven

Seglare
Hi Max,

If you search the forum for Garhauer you'll probably find that it is the rigid vang of choice. We don't have one yet but there definitely is one in our future.

-Sven

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Agree if you want the support of a rigid vang go with the kicker for the 27. Although simplest would just be a 3:1 made from two fiddle blocks. One with a cam cleat and a becket the other without. Maybe fit it with a snap shackle at the bottom end so you could use it as a preventer too when running down wind, but make sure the snap shackle is the weak link so you dont break your boom on a crash gybe...

newgringo

Member III
We installed a BoomKicker on our E32-3. It was fairly easy to install and does lift the boom. One less line to deal with. I built my own mast attachment as I did not want to take any chance of drilling thru a wire going up the mast. Drawing available. The BK folks are very helpful.