Boom Vang, or lack thereof

FrankZ

Member I
I'm a relatively new sailor with an Ericson 38-200. This sailboat does not have a boom vang installed. I'm wondering why it doesn't have one, and if I should add an aftermarket one, a rigid one or otherwise. Any suggestions?

Frank Z.

wurzner

Member III
Boom Vang

Frank,

I'm glad I'm the first to respond, but I assure you that most replies will echo what I say. I too have an Ericson 38-200 and it has a rigid vang. A vang is such a critical sail control that you need to get one. That being said, I would go with a rigid vang after having had the chance to use one. For the added cost, they eliminate the topping lift and make reefing easier and safer since it reduces the time to reef. Also it helps depower the sail, but a conventional vang would as well

good luck and stay tuned for a flurry of responses. By the way, what year is your 38?

regards
shaun
S/V Sorcerer
E38-200 #207
Everett, WA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FrankZ,
I have a E38 as well and it has a soft vang. I don't care at all for it as the angles the line travels at as it leaves the lower fiddle block are terrible, etc. Considering the cost of a new soft vang you might as well just get a Garhauer solid vang. Its not that much more money and from everything I have read worth every penny. Currently I am saving my pennies for one.... RT

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
another vote for a rigid vang. On a boat that size it can be considered a safety feature as well as a huge convenience. Makes main handling of every sort much easier, and virtually eliminates the chance of the boom crashing down on someone's head if the topping line slips, breaks, or isn't handled right during a reef or sail drop.

Nate