Boom to low on E34 for bimini and dodger ?

AlexE34

On my '93 E34 the boom seems to low to install a dodger and bimini. I've come across pics on this site of other 34s with biminis and dodgers and their booms do not seem as low. Was this perhaps only on the PSC built 34s? Has anyone come up with a good design for this or is the only option to raise the boom and cut the sail?

thanks for any info and input!

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
To me an E-34 looks proportionally the same as my E32-III, so I hope this helps. On my E32-III we made the Bimini stop aft of the boom, so it gives good headroom. There should be plenty of room for the dodger. We have a connector or "bridge" piece that zips in place between the Bimini and dodger. I leave that out when sailing.

To see your maximum boom height, make sure you have fully hauled on your topping lift (main sheet and boom vang slack before you haul on the topping lift) when measuring.

2016-04-30_185811205_049D3_iOS.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a little additional piece of the puzzle to contribute. We have never really had "enough" room under our boom to format a dodger at a "cruising" height. So the one we installed back in '95, required some ducking of the head when going into the cabin. (Most boats with an aft cabin interior have a sort of raised 'hall way' to transit to get to the companionway opening. We rest an elbow on each side of the hatch opening for support when going in and out. Always reminds of the line from the Indiana Jones film about how a "penitent man may pass"...)

The problem was -past tense- that the fabric of the mainsail cover would rub on the dodger top and both would potentially wear thru. 'Past tense' because in 2014 we had a new UKSails Lazy Cradle installed.
Trivia: Most sailmakers and canvas vendors nowadays sell a version of this, and UK did not invent it either.
This keeps the furled sail completely on top of the boom. It's like having another full foot of room for a dodger top.

Since the fabric is wearing thin on our present dodger, the plan is to have a new and larger one fabricated in the next year. The old windows are getting rather cloudy, too.
A lot more shelter from sun and rain would be welcome.

BTW, we happened to go aboard a PSC-Ericson 34 last winter for sale up in Everett, and the dodger seemed to be normal height for that model of boat.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Here's a large dodger on an E-34. I personally am not thrilled with dodgers. They interfere with the sailing controls on the cabin top and isolate the cockpit from the rest of the boat. My wife, however loves the things so this one was made to take off fairly easily when I cruise alone. I do admit that it is a great place to hide out of the rain and wind sometimes on the Straights. I added cam cleats on the mast so I can handle the spinnaker halyard and topping lift when the dodger is on. The boom was not raised for this installation.'
'

Dodger 1-001.JPGDodger 3-001.JPG

bkuchinic

Member II
Here's a large dodger on an E-34. I personally am not thrilled with dodgers. They interfere with the sailing controls on the cabin top and isolate the cockpit from the rest of the boat. My wife, however loves the things so this one was made to take off fairly easily when I cruise alone. I do admit that it is a great place to hide out of the rain and wind sometimes on the Straights. I added cam cleats on the mast so I can handle the spinnaker halyard and topping lift when the dodger is on. The boom was not raised for this installation.'
'

View attachment 22733View attachment 22734

Alex, I bought my 1992 E34 last December. It came with a bimini that is compatible with the low boom. I don't like the fact that it blocks the view of the mainsail and will look into having a window installed this winter. I'll also be considering the addition of removable flexible solar panels to keep the batteries topped up while the boat is moored (to be removed when sailing). But for the solar I'd consider removing the Bimini and related hardware. That may come to pass in which case I may be willing to part with my Bimini. I note you are on Lake Michigan. "NOMAD" is moored at NL17 in Monroe Harbor (Chicago) if you are in the neighborhood and want to take a look. Brad

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 36