Boom Kicker

jgarmin098

Member II
I'm planning to install a Boom Kicker on my '88 32-3. Has anyone had experience with this product? Any idea of the proper size to install on a 32-3?

rssailor

Boom kicker feedback

I have not had any personal experiance with Boom Kicker, but have seen the units in use on several boats. They seem to work well and are light weight. Looking on the manufacturers web sit, it looks like you will use a K-1500. The largest one they make. Check around and see if any of the neighboring boats have one and if so get the owners feedback, or check any local dry storage where under thirty foot sailboats on trailers live and I bet you will find a few Boomkickers on some smaller race boats. Good luck. Ryan

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Boomkicker

I have a Boomkicker on my E-33 & I am happy with it. When I installed it I had questions for them & they were vey helpful & supportive. As I recall, they sent me some differtent hardware for my particular application for no charge. I suggest calling them before you buy one for the exact specs for your application.

Keith
Channel Islands, CA

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Also, you may want to do a price comparison for a Garhauer rigid vang. It may be simpler & more aesthetic than the boomkicker, but I do like the boomkicker.

Keith

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have a Boomkicker on my E23 and like the trim control it provides. I thought about a rigid vang but I use my (soft) vang as a preventer and didn’t want to loose that option. I do use a short wire with a shackle off of the backstay to hold the aft end of the boom up while docked.

Mark

jgarmin098

Member II
Just to follow up. My hope is that the location and geometry of the boom kicker will allow me to continue to open my overhead hatch just aft of the mast. I have to remove my vang to open it now and am thinking that the fact that the boom kicker will be installed above it and that it is curved will allow it to clear the hatch.

Thoughts?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'd just reverse your hatch so it hinges on the forward frame, rather than on the aft frame. Ventilation at anchor is compromised somewhat, but if you have a hatch in the V-berth cabin, then you can use that for primary ventilation, and the companionway and main cabin hatch for exhaust.

Some hatches can be easily switched.

Nate

jgarmin098

Member II
I installed the Boomkicker. No need to reverse the hatch. Wife is happy with ventilation. I'm happy with performance of Boomkicker. Topping lift is in the trash. Everybody is happy.