Boom Height/Lowering Boom

Ruckus.adrift

E-28+ Universal 5411, Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Hello all looking for some insight and advice here. My e28+ has what appears to be an unusually high boom: 7' from cockpit floor and 5' from deck, shy a couple of inches.
I can stand straight on the cockpit seats and still have 6" of headroom! As per the reference photo when I'm standing on the cabin top, any work on the mainsail itself is just above my head, and requires me to go up a couple of folding mast steps I have.

Does anyone have an idea why it was designed or built this way? It seems to me that it makes it more difficult to reef or drop the main, and it increases the height of the center of effort. Is there much benefit to having it so high other than preventing a boom to the face?

Has anyone adjusted the height of their boom? Other than re-rivetting the gooseneck and adjusting the gate on the mainsail track to a lower height also, what else does it entail? I am planning to replace my main hopefully in the next year or so and would like it designed based on the permanent boom height (either existing as it is now or lowered). Does it affect the physics of the rig much, say if I dropped it one foot?

Any thoughts or experience in similar matters is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-215046.png
    Screenshot_20210418-215046.png
    1,005 KB · Views: 36

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does the mast section have a lower "slug insertion cutout", and evidence of screw holes for the gooseneck? If not, then the original owner must have requested that the factory mount the boom higher than the 'stock' position.
Reattaching the gooseneck would require drilling tapping new holes, but moving the cutout down and then covering the old would take some added work.
Or just leave the old cutout in place and reach up high to insert the slugs when you put the main on, once a year. And then put a cover plate over the cutout so the slugs will rest down at the new lower boom location
Or, as sometimes happens, I am not properly visualizing the problem!
Do you other photos of the gooseneck area - above and below it - without the lines hanging down over the spar?

Ruckus.adrift

No there doesn't appear to be the appearance of any other boom position lower on the mast such as screw holes or a cutout. Maybe I can find another e28+ owner to identify the standard height.

That all sounds like it makes sense, and if it is indeed standard for the boom to be lower, I don't think I would need to worry about the rest of the rig.

I've attached a photo of the goose neck area :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_181527414.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210419_181527414.MP.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210419_181113536.jpg
    PXL_20210419_181113536.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 17

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same Kenyon spar profile and cutout as our 34 footer.
Some research in where to move it down to, seems called for. Other owners should have some measurement info for you. Hopefully.

BTW, Ericson used to do all sorts of 'custom' factory changes, from different diesels, to winch changes, and even one reported larger boat in the Chicago area with an OEM shortened mast. o_O

Our boat has total evidence of a change from the standard tiller to the optional wheel. After.... the aft cabin trim was finished out. (and then was redone.) Our primary winches were changed and upsized after the original deck layout was finished, too.

Ruckus.adrift

I would agree, hopefully will track down some other Ericson's my size on here :)

Wow, sounds like new owners would have been able to tweak things just so. A little odd having a shortened mast - you can always reduce sail with high winds, but you can't exactly un-shorten a mast in lighter ones!

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Does the boat have a dodger? I have seen booms raised to better fit above them. Doesn't look like yours was moved? I could barely reach the halyard shackle on my boat. I moved the boom down two screws. I think we have the same Kenyon mast and boom and found the job quite easy. Use the halyard to help hold up the boom. Unbolt the goose neck from the mast and reattach at a lower position. Use the the mount to locate the new screw. Drill and tap. Mine were 1/4-20 screws. Be sure to use Tefgel of Lanacote on the threads when you reinstall. If you encounter any stripped threads you can buy a Helicoil kit to restore the original thread size. Good luck

Ruckus.adrift

It does have a dodger (that's falling apart), the boom clears it by a couple of feet, so I doubt that would be the original reason, there's no evidence of any old Bimini or cockpit enclosure mounting points either.

Nice, moving it down by a couple of screw points may work well. Thanks for the advice!

Gaviate

Member III
Just was futzing with boom height on Emgee this past weekend. My set up has the boom about waist high when at the mast, with 6'6" head room from cockpit floor. I actually lowered it in attempt to be able to fully hoist main without winching last foot or so. Alas, I have a static cable for topping lift and not adjustable so back up goes the boom at the mast, as I believe worst problems would abide a boom and mast being out of perpendicular to each other. My gooseneck fitting is not fastened, it fits into slot just as the sail slugs.

As Grant suggest, using the existing bottom holes as the new top hole set would lower the boom by 6 or 8 inches. To move it lower (looks like there is room for nearly 1 1/2 ft.), disconnect until you are left with the fitting, hold in new position and mark just one hole, move fitting out of the way, drill and tap the single hole. Attach the fitting just snug then mark, drill and tap 2nd hole ensuring fitting is where you want it. Install second screw just snug. Now you have a secure and accurate template for all remaining holes.

And smile cause when you're done you get to go sailing!!!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Remember your mainsail will be x how much you lower the boom SHORT of full hoist. This will effect your sail plan and performance unless you are planning on a new mainsail too ? You will be essentially shortening your mast.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would say that the effect is to lengthen the hoist, which will either cause the existing sail set a bit lower down, or create the desire for larger main sail.
If the sail is lowered about a half foot, that will not likely make much difference, tho.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Does it affect the physics of the rig much, say if I dropped it one foot?
It's funny but I wish my boom was higher, on the 30+ the boom is really low. You can't stand up in the cockpit if the boom is overhead. I believe the 28+ is also a fractional rig so the main is the power sail. You are going to notice a difference with your main sitting a foot lower in the rig IMHO.

Ruckus.adrift

Just was futzing with boom height on Emgee this past weekend. My set up has the boom about waist high when at the mast, with 6'6" head room from cockpit floor. I actually lowered it in attempt to be able to fully hoist main without winching last foot or so. Alas, I have a static cable for topping lift and not adjustable so back up goes the boom at the mast, as I believe worst problems would abide a boom and mast being out of perpendicular to each other. My gooseneck fitting is not fastened, it fits into slot just as the sail slugs.

As Grant suggest, using the existing bottom holes as the new top hole set would lower the boom by 6 or 8 inches. To move it lower (looks like there is room for nearly 1 1/2 ft.), disconnect until you are left with the fitting, hold in new position and mark just one hole, move fitting out of the way, drill and tap the single hole. Attach the fitting just snug then mark, drill and tap 2nd hole ensuring fitting is where you want it. Install second screw just snug. Now you have a secure and accurate template for all remaining holes.

And smile cause when you're done you get to go sailing!!!
Ah too frustrating about the topping lift! Thankfully mine is not static, definitely adjustable with lots of extra line left. I do agree I think using the previous holes as a template is probably the most sure fire way of getting it placed correctly.

Ruckus.adrift

Remember your mainsail will be x how much you lower the boom SHORT of full hoist. This will effect your sail plan and performance unless you are planning on a new mainsail too ? You will be essentially shortening your mast.
I will definitely be coinciding the timing of it with getting a new mainsail also - I do want to make sure if I'm dropping the boom I'd say maximum a foot, that adding that extra sail area at the bottom will affect the rig, and it won't over power the boat too much. On my next main I am also planning to get quite deep reefs in, since she responds so well to them

Ruckus.adrift

It's funny but I wish my boom was higher, on the 30+ the boom is really low. You can't stand up in the cockpit if the boom is overhead. I believe the 28+ is also a fractional rig so the main is the power sail. You are going to notice a difference with your main sitting a foot lower in the rig IMHO.
I think how I would try and make a happy medium by dropping it enough that I could stand up straight and clear on the cockpit floor still. Keeping in mind I can stand on the seat with still 6" of clearance above my head there is a lot of wiggle room!

It totally drives the boat, the acceleration is pretty great. So I agree, I think would definitely see a difference if it was about a foot lower.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since you're planning a new mainsail, I would have a sailmaker come to the boat and discuss boom height and implications.

Oh, maybe nobody nearby where you are. Please put your model, engine and location in the Signature line, it helps us relate to issues. Click on User Name/Signature.

Ruckus.adrift

Since you're planning a new mainsail, I would have a sailmaker come to the boat and discuss boom height and implications.

Oh, maybe nobody nearby where you are. Please put your model, engine and location in the Signature line, it helps us relate to issues. Click on User Name/Signature.
I definitely will when the time comes. I just got a new foresail from UK sailmakers NW and I'm quite pleased with it so far, so I will likely go to them once I have a little more replenished funds. We also have several riggers in the area with good reputations.

And I've added the info to my signature so hopefully it shows up now :)

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Interesting! Usually the complaint is the boom is too low. On my 30+ the boom was very low but a former owner raised it about 6 inches to accomodate a dodger. The boom is still about 2 inches below my head level when the sail is up and standing in the cockpit. I rarely have issues when actually sailing as accidental gybes usually announce themselves in time to duck, but a couple times in lumpy conditions when dropping the mainsail I forgot to loosen the boom vang (an older gas strut boomkicker holds the boom up) leaving the boom swinging wildly around the cockpit at head level until I could get the mainsheet gathered in. This problem is cured by proper sequencing, but I stil think my boom is possibly the worst height to have- just able to hit me but not really noticeable as such, especially when wearing a ball cap! Your plan of lowering the boom to just above your head when standing in the cockpit sounds good, but I would suggest you give it an extra inch or two to avoid headaches in case one forgets to adjust vang or topping lift appropriately prior to dropping sail.

Edit: if I ever get around to a new main I will probably have it cut slightly higher along the aft end of the foot to raise the boom just enough to avoid my head. I'm not racing so I doubt I would notice a difference in performance.

Ruckus.adrift

Tall booms and airline seats are some of the few perks to being on the shorter side of stature. Feel free to adjust your seat if you are located forward of me on that next flight! I have plenty of leg space.

Interesting! Usually the complaint is the boom is too low. On my 30+ the boom was very low but a former owner raised it about 6 inches to accomodate a dodger. The boom is still about 2 inches below my head level when the sail is up and standing in the cockpit. I rarely have issues when actually sailing as accidental gybes usually announce themselves in time to duck, but a couple times in lumpy conditions when dropping the mainsail I forgot to loosen the boom vang (an older gas strut boomkicker holds the boom up) leaving the boom swinging wildly around the cockpit at head level until I could get the mainsheet gathered in. This problem is cured by proper sequencing, but I stil think my boom is possibly the worst height to have- just able to hit me but not really noticeable as such, especially when wearing a ball cap! Your plan of lowering the boom to just above your head when standing in the cockpit sounds good, but I would suggest you give it an extra inch or two to avoid headaches in case one forgets to adjust vang or topping lift appropriately prior to dropping sail.

Edit: if I ever get around to a new main I will probably have it cut slightly higher along the aft end of the foot to raise the boom just enough to avoid my head. I'm not racing so I doubt I would notice a difference in performance.
Ouch! Yea wearing a hat would definitely disguise it sneaking up on you.

Having a few inches of wiggle room is probably a good idea, and would require less ducking when leaving the cockpit I would think