Boom Gooseneck Loose

dcoyle

Member III
Goodmorning all. My 82 E33 has an ongoing problem with boom gooseneck loosening up while sailing. Currently the gooseneck slides insinde the aluminum boom and is secured with 3 screws. It seems the forces on boom while sailing continually work the connection of boom/gooseneck and the screws back out. A few years ago I drilled bigger holes, tapped, used washers and lock washers as well as lock tite- nice black stain on newer mainsail ugh. Anyhow it still loosens up, in fact this past season during the an overnight race while sails flogging w no wind, one of the screws fell out- and the gooseneck threads stripped. I am considering drilling horizontally through boom and gooseneck and using a bolt with nut to hold thing together. There is nothing in the way for bolt that I can see. Any suggestions- reasons for/against?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
How tight does the gooseneck fit in the boom? Maybe if there is play there it caused the screws to loosen. Some shims could tighten that up. Also adding a couple more machine screws to each side may help. I think mine are 1/4" thread. The gooseneck should be very easy to tap.

Mine is the same design and I removed my gooseneck 2 years ago to paint the boom and it went back together with blue locktite and nylon washers and has been fine since. Because of the nylon washers I did not tighten mine down too hard but the locktite has held.

I would be glad to take a look at it if you like.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How about taking the boom off. Dismantle pieces. Rough sand the gooseneck casting and coat it with a layer of epoxy mixed with high strength filler. Sand down the new shape to a tight fit to the boom end.
Then add Tim's idea of more fastenings. Protect all threads with sealer.

It would be a good time and opportunity to check on the integrity of the vang attachment and also refurbish or replace the internal multi-part outhaul.

Just a thought......
:nerd:

Loren

Last edited:

dcoyle

Member III
Thanks for the advice and your offer of help Tim- I truly appreciate it and will take you up on it. As long as I can trade for labor on your boat sometime. I found out the current gooseneck is a replacement as the po broke the original while racing. The boom is in my garage since winter has set in here. So I can check the fit easily, I thought about extra screws, did you add any to your setup Tim or did you go with 3?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Mine is out on the boat but I remember there being 2 1/4" machine screws on each side to total 4.

You are always welcome on Wed. night racing. No bartering needed:egrin:.