Boom bail for an E32-2?

SteveL

Member I
I have been struggling over how to mount a chartplotter on my 1974 E32. The problem is that the end of the boom - and mainsheet block - is almost directly over the pedestal. I think the E35-2 has the same arrangement.

I put in a Harken windward sheeting traveler (not for this reason) that is slightly forward of the original traveler track, but it's still so close to the pedestal that without some additional room, it would only be a matter of time before the mainsheet caught the gizmo during an unplanned maneuver.

Has anyone tried a boom bail to move the gain a little more space, maybe 12 to 18", to install hardware? Does anyone think the boom might not tolerate this? The new arrangement would erode some cockpit room, but it's all about compromise.

Thanks in advance to all.

Steve

S Ellis

Member I
chartplotter mount

For what it's worth...I mounted my chartplotter on my 32 on top of the pedestal where my binnacle once was....don't ask where the compass went!, but it had something to do with an accidental gybe and the mainsheet! Anyway, instead of replacing the compass, I mounted a small Standard Horizon on top of the pedestal....fits perfectly between the throttle and the gear shift. A great addition and much more useful than the compass alone.
Steve
Diversion 32-2 #111 1969

SteveL

Member I
It's an interesting idea. I'd be a little uneasy sailing without a compass, but that is irrational, I know. There are a number of other ways to get oriented on a modern sailboat.

Did you put some sort of tubing/protection around the chartplotter? If not, what keeps it from following the compass into eternity? (I myself have never had an unplanned gibe, but I have heard that they happen to other people ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. Since we have essentially the same boat, what do you think about the boom bail plan?

Steve

S Ellis

Member I
boom bail

Hi Steve,
Yeah, I have the same Harken set up as you by the sounds of it. I'd be hesitant to move the bail forward much....I think it might put some peculiar loading on the boom and the traveller car. I think the more in line the loads are the better.
I haven't had a problem with the sheet hanging up on the plotter....it's down below the level of the shift levers....and I'm way more careful about who is driving downwind now!!.....she's not that wild about being on the helm anyway!
Steve

jimw

E32-2 Boom Bail

I have a bail on my E32-2 boom forward of the end of the boom.
If I sheet to the end of the boom the Bimini interferes with the main sheet.

SteveL

Member I
Thanks Jim. How did the boom bail work out in terms of preventing the sheets from getting tangled in the pedestal and the stuff attached to it?

Do either you (or Steve) have pix handy that show how you arranged the hardware?

Steve

jimw

E32-2 Boom bail

Steve,

The sheet does not get tangled in the pedestal with this setup.
Here is a picture of the end of the boom I took before I bought the boat.
I left it the same way.The bail looks about 1.5 to 2 feet from the end.
If I don't forget I can get a measurement next time I am on the boat.

100_1349.jpg

SteveL

Member I
Thanks so much. This is very helpful.

Since I already have a 6-part block on the mainsheet, losing a couple of feet of boom length shouldn't be a problem. Any issues with the crew and passengers when sheeted in or coming about?

Also, do you have instruments installed? I'm still trying to that part out.

Steve

jimw

Steve,

No issues with crew or coming about. The only instrument mounted on my binnacle is the compass. Some times I clip my GPS to the binnacle and have not had it get snagged by the sheet.

The only problem I have is if I do not keep the tail end of the main sheet tidy then I can get some thing tangled. That is the same if I end boom sheet or sheet to the bail.

I may get to the boat tomorrow and measure.

InSync

Member II
Main sheet and traveller pics

Steve,

We own a 1974 Ericson 32-2, just purchased last year. The PO had installed a new Harken traveller and mainsheet system, as well as a stainless steel support for the chartplotter. I have attached some pics in case you will find this useful. Sorry about the orientation of some of the pics...I'm new to this. Please note that the distance from the end of the boom to the u-bolt that the mainsheet is attached to is 13.5 inches. Also, please note that we have a custom rig on this boat which means that our boom is 14 feet long.
I took one of the pics giving a birdseye view of one end of the traveller so you can see where it was mounted, I'm not sure how this position differs from the original position. If this information is useful, let me know if you need any more pics or information.

IMG_1232.JPGIMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPGIMG_1235.JPGIMG_1236.JPG

SteveL

Member I
InSych,

Thanks so much for the pix. The PO has done exactly what I am hoping to do, except he/she used a a u-bolt instead of a boom bail.

In case you're curious, the original traveler was a metal track that was bolted to the cockpit divider. A car slid - or not - along the track and the position was fixed by spring-driven bayonet bolts (maybe not the precise terminology) on the car that went into holes in the track. It was a bear when there was any load on the sheet because the force was distributed unevenly and the car wouldn't slide. The track on your boat was removed and the holes were repaired. And pretty well by the look of it.

Again, the photos are very much appreciated!

Steve