Bomon order problem

Sven

Seglare
Nancy just got off the phone with Alain from Bomon, to place our order.

Alain stated that in order to ship the ports insured to the US he is now required to either get our Social Security # or a federal company ID #, otherwise the package can not be valued at more than $200.

Having been victims of ID theft we don't give our SSN to anyone and we don't have a federal company ID #.

Anyone have any idea what this is all about ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Marine Repair Small Businesses

Over the decades, I have ordered up marine parts from some far-flung places through a local mom-n-pop chandlers. They would take a small % for handling. This increased their gross receipts which helped them sometimes when dealing with other wholesale vendors.
Plan B would to go to any of your buddies with a Port Supply account or other business wholesale connection and have them order up parts with their business ID. I have done that often, and again, this helps them with their annual gross sales which helps keep their discounts in place during a slow season.

Loren

ps: I've not heard of any "$200. rule" either

Sven

Seglare
Over the decades, I have ordered up marine parts from some far-flung places through a local mom-n-pop chandlers. They would take a small % for handling. This increased their gross receipts which helped them sometimes when dealing with other wholesale vendors.
Plan B would to go to any of your buddies with a Port Supply account or other business wholesale connection and have them order up parts with their business ID. I have done that often, and again, this helps them with their annual gross sales which helps keep their discounts in place during a slow season.

Loren

ps: I've not heard of any "$200. rule" either

Good suggestions. According to the US Customs site it is $2,000.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/314

Gord's suggestion of applying for an EID may also be good. What a pain ... just let us pay the duties without all this BS.

Thanks,

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Damn! I was just getting ready to send Alain an email and then follow up with a phone call to place my order!

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark,

Damn! I was just getting ready to send Alain an email and then follow up with a phone call to place my order!

I sent him an e-mail with the link to the US Customs FAQ so we'll see if that takes care of it since it is an order of less than the $2,000.oo limit.

We'll presumably have the same problem with the Cap Horn vane which does break the $2,000.oo limit. :esad:

The best solution for our neighbors to the north would seem to be to get a US representative who could offer up their EID. Either that or boycott US :egrin:

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Bomon problem solved

I just got a reply from Alain at Bomon. His broker agrees that they do not need any SSN for less than $2000.oo !

Now I just have to address the problem with the Cape Horn which is supposed to be done in a coupe of weeks.

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Was just about to dial Bomon and thought to check here one last time.

I did check with a friend here in town who has a Federal ID number for her business and she didn't have any problem with me using that number and having the ports shipped to her if need be. Maybe you know someone in SD who could do the same for your wind vane.

Sven

Seglare
I did check with a friend here in town who has a Federal ID number for her business and she didn't have any problem with me using that number and having the ports shipped to her if need be. Maybe you know someone in SD who could do the same for your wind vane.

Los Angeles is our home port these days. I wonder if the item has to be shipped to the address of the EID or if there can be a different delivery address. Getting our own EID as suggested by Gord on the cruisers' forum is an alternative. Getting an EID might mean having to file more taxes.

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Just got off the phone with Alain. The customs issue is resolved; no problem if less than $2,000 valuation.

Placed the order!

Sven

Seglare
Cape Horn shipment

Maybe you know someone in SD who could do the same for your wind vane.

Got a quick answer back from Yves (who just sent a message telling us that the Cape Horn will probably ship next week). He said that they had to ask a few years ago but he thought the requirement was lifted 3-4 years ago. We'll see. We'll work it out with him somehow if there is a problem, but without giving the shipper our SSN.

-Sven