Boatyards in Portland, OR

tyrguy

Member II
We are going to bring our new to us 29 down river from Hermiston this summer and would like to take it out and repaint the bottom in Portland, OR or Astoria, OR before we race down to Newport this summer. Can anyone recommend a yard that can paint her and still let us do some work ourselves?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Danish Marine, a new yard on the east end part of Hayden Island, does not allow DIY, but does have a good reputation with friends that have hauled their boats there.
Schooner Creek Boat works, same island but west of the I-5 bridge, does allow DIY, and I have used their services for about 20 years. (Note that prices for hauling will be somewhat higher at any yard that pays the extra insurance premium for the added risk of DIY activities.)

There are some other choices down Mult Channel, but I have no experience with them.

The main yard at Astoria, by the west basin moorage area, allows DIY and some club members have given it good marks... plus, it has the wondrous new large marine store, Englund Marine, right next door!

There is a yard at Ilwaco also, with a smaller Englund Marine outlet next door, but I have heard no recent comments about them.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

tyrguy

Member II
Do you happen to know the name of the yard in Astoria. Since we are going to leave the boat at the west basin until the start of the Bridge to Bridge race it would be very nice to do all the work in one place. We also have never been down the river, whats the procedure for going under I-5? Or do we have to worry about it?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Only the RR bridge........

Do you happen to know the name of the yard in Astoria. Since we are going to leave the boat at the west basin until the start of the Bridge to Bridge race it would be very nice to do all the work in one place. We also have never been down the river, whats the procedure for going under I-5? Or do we have to worry about it?

Just contact the Port of Astoria.
http://www.portofastoria.com/portfacilities/haulout/index.html

Your chart gives the clearance for the fixed-span portion of the I-5 bridge and it is probably well over 60'.

Between the sea and the PDX area of the river there is only one bridge you must open and that is the "Columbia Railroad bridge". Hail them on 13 when you are close. It's a swing bridge on the north end of the crossing.

The RR bridge operator copes with 10 Amtrak trains per day and several other high priority trains plus unplanned train breakdowns close to the span. He tries not to make anyone wait (sailboat or tug) over 15 minutes, but sometimes it might be 30. He would prefer you pass through the north opening, but it's your choice. If you want to try him on your cell phone, dial 360.418.6320.

best,
Loren

Last edited:

tyrguy

Member II
Made it

Well we made it to Portland from Mcnary yacht club in 3 days of motoring. It was either dead calm or nuclear winds on the nose. Had a great time along the way I will try and post a day by day of the trip when we get time.
We decided on Schooner Creek for bottom work, they have been very professional and open to work with so for and I know they do great work. I was pleasantly surprised on how good the bottom looked and hope that nothing jumps out in the survey.