Boating down in your area?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is a good thread. I hope it's making most of us who read it feel better, no matter what end of the stick we happen to be holding. I just had a comment on the involvement of kids in boating. I don't come from a boating family. I started boat ownership late in my kids' childhood, with a small powerboat. It didn't really catch on. When I started chartering at a sailing club (we could not afford ownership, moorage and saving for college expenses) they were old enough to stay home for the day.

Eventually, I figured out that my teen-aged girls were not interested in getting up early, nor were they interested in staying out all day. This applies to skiing and plenty of other activities that require preparation or a long drive. I learned this too late for the older daughter and just in time for the younger. When I agreed to leave home later in the morning (skiing or sailing) or just go out for a couple hours in the afternoon (sailing), there was more willingness to participate. And we had a good time.

Young people these days are having to work long hours just to afford a place to live. Unless they have a boating passion, some recreational vision that includes water and beautiful, secluded spots, or some other strong motivation, we're not going to see them out there until they can afford the time and expense. I definitely endorse non-boat owners being able to join yacht clubs (many have associate memberships) because that contact can provide a way for younger people to find people to boat with.

I am happy to have come to the conclusion that being out there on a boat is more important than getting somewhere in one. If I don't work too much I'll have time to get out there, and do so for a lot less than a power boater can.

Cheers,