Boat Wax

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Respected Sailors
Discovered storage did not treat two bottles of 3M Cleaner wax well. The wax was thick and would not flow out the top. Containers were only 20% full and the 80% air must have done the damage. Blundered into a solution.
We filled a bucket with hot water and let the wax containers sit in the hot water bucket. Wax became liquid enough and it worked fine. Saved us a trip away from the boat and those bottles of wax are about $15ea.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

frick

Member III
What a good Idea

I love 3m Cleaner wax, and you had a great idea for saving it for another season. Thanks for sharing.

Rick+

u079721

Contributing Partner
My way of using the last quarter or so of a bottle of thick wax has always been to just cut the thing open with a utility knife. I cut all around the outside edge and lay it open like a book, giving full access to every last expensive drop. That makes it a bit hard to store of course, so I always use up the old stuff first, and then move to a fresh bottle to finish the job.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Steve
Thanks. I like the cut up the bottle idea a lot too. Boat is in the backyard so we had hot water in the basement. Temp was about 32 so I thought of heat first. Respected wife said "stay clear of the micro wave." (5) inches of snow this morning so glad we could get the polish done with the heat trick. 3M nice material but nobody gives it away.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Steve
Seeing those cut open and completely empty wax containers used up by my high school polisher made my afternoon!
Thanks!
Pat
1981 E28+