CaptnNero

Accelerant
Flag halyard

Don't use a backstay; raise it on a halyard like you would a flag. I think that's what Loren did.

therapidone said:
Given that the backstay is split on our boat, and I would guess, on a number of other Ericson models, how does one deal with the attaching the anchor sail to the portion of the backstay before the split? I haven't seen any anchor sails in action & am having some difficulty envisioning easily hoisting it at anchor w/ the split backstay circumstance...but then, I can be more than just a little thick-headed in these matters.

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is not that much pressure on the lower grommet, and I would guess that most any tie point on the center on the transom would do for the lower pennant. I used a spinn halyard led around from the front of the spar for the top. I tie the forward pennant to the mainsheet tackle under the boom because that's where it leads naturally on our particular boat.

YMMV

Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

scourge

Member II
Riding Sail for 1976 E - 32

hi all,
My wife and I do a lot of anchoring. I am now getting to the point that all of the 'horsing' around and sailing around at anchor is getting old. We are looking into setting up a riding sail for our boat. I have looked a various designs from a single triangle shaped sail to the 'FinDelta' that Banner Bay Marine' sells.
Is anyone out there using one?
What type are you using? Did you buy or make it yourself?
I have a dodger and bimini so the rigging over the bimini might be little tricky but I'm willing to try.
How is it rigged?

Any and all suggestions/pointers, etc, would be most beneficial.

Thanks,
Len Buchanan
'Windshadow' ' 76 E32
Muskegon, MI

upnorthfrank

Member II
I jerry-rigged my storm jib to act as a makeshift rider on our C26MKii & if I can manage to get the pix from my phone to here I'll show them-

I was a little proud of myself, worked great!!! Anchored off San Leon TX on an absolutely gorgeous late fall afternoon. Ahhh nice weather.....

I attached foot clews to the boom stay & a point @ stern chainplate, & attached the top of the sail to the-you ready?-the toilet paper holder in the head!!!

I can't begin to tell you how nice it works. MacGyver got nuthin' on us man!!! I'll see if I can upload.....