Boat Identification. 36? 38? What year?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the site!
You should review the site instructions for attachments. It takes several steps and is easy once you have done one or two.
If you are still stumped, just attach and send 'em to me and I can put them it.
Loren
sailaway10 AT comcast DOT net

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe a 35 Mk 2 ?

There are three photos and one was kind of a duplicate and the image was quite small. The two larger images lead me to ID it as an Ericson 35-2.
Looks like some cruising gear on it and some nice additions.
Rod vang, wind generator, dodger, windlass, spinnaker gear...

I hope that it and the dock were returned home with no damage!

Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• ericson forward.jpg
    ericson forward.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Ericson profile.jpg
    Ericson profile.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

BMcCJ

There are three photos and one was kind of a duplicate and the image was quite small. The two larger images lead me to ID it as an Ericson 35-2.
Looks like some cruising gear on it and some nice additions.
Rod vang, wind generator, dodger, windlass, spinnaker gear...

I hope that it and the dock were returned home with no damage!

Regards,
Loren

Thanks and and yes, I see that 35-2 now.

boat and dock have been separated and returned to safe and separate moorings.

thank you!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I would put money on a 35-2. an anchor is cheep, but an engine will cost at least 3 times what that boat should sell for. You should be able to pick that boat up for 1, 2 grand tops even if all else is perfect on it. A new Beta diesel will set you back about 10 grand and a couple more if you have it installed. That being said, they are GREAT boats and well worth the money IF you keep them and use them. They are fast, singlehandable, strong enough to take you anywhere in comfort, forgiving to learn on and on and on. But that comes from a satisfied 35-2 owner. Edd​

BMcCJ

I would put money on a 35-2. an anchor is cheep, but an engine will cost at least 3 times what that boat should sell for. You should be able to pick that boat up for 1, 2 grand tops even if all else is perfect on it. A new Beta diesel will set you back about 10 grand and a couple more if you have it installed. That being said, they are GREAT boats and well worth the money IF you keep them and use them. They are fast, singlehandable, strong enough to take you anywhere in comfort, forgiving to learn on and on and on. But that comes from a satisfied 35-2 owner. Edd​

Thanks Edd!

Thanks great info, and I really appreciate it.

More info:

The boat had been outfitted and sailed down to Latin America by a by a young man prior to his entering med school.

then the current owner bought it over five years ago and sailed it a few times. But I think it mostly sat in our west coast harbor.

he has the original Yanmar, and a second engine out and on pallets. Both are available with the boat. But then it's a rebuild combining those into a usable engine.

as the boat got pulled off the dock and sand twice during the storm, I think it's time for a hauling out, bottom clean/paint, keel attachment inspection, rigging, etc etc on on wiring..... My guess is that little is perfect on it at the moment.

but it looks like a great boat. :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One item off the punch list

At least you would not have to worry about the "keel attachment" since the ballast is internal.
:rolleyes:

Loren

aj vollmer

Member I
More issues...

Another issue to consider is getting the boat to a yard to do work. I live near HMB and the old boat yard closed years ago. Nearest yards that I know about would be south 60 miles in Santa Cruz or north to SF Bay and then on to a yard there -- figure 40 miles MOL. Neither trip would be fun without having a solid boat and a good engine. You might get local help to haul it out at one of the HMB storage yards so I would first see what local resources are available. I've also seen some pretty creative outboard motor rigs to get a boat like this to a yard. But in any event this is an issue to consider.

Andy

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
another contender?

While you are looking at various boats, have you noticed that ad in the current Lat 38 for a very clean-looking Ericson 37?
Asking is $19,500, and it is described as having a low hour Yanmar diesel.
Might be worth a look see.

Loren