Blog Post vs. Forum Post--the Differences

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Applications to create a Blog on EricsonYachts.org are approved by Sean Engle, the owner/administrator. Blogs are encouraged as ongoing personal contributions to the site beyond the day-to-day discussions and problem-solving of the active forums. Bloggers are recognized by the special badge "Blogs Author." If requesting a blog, please download and read blog policy.

Here are the basic differences, Blog vs. Forum post.
2 Capture.JPG

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
This is really helpful, Christian. I was going to follow up on my 35-3 tank work by posting in frostbiter's tank removal thread. I thought the details of progress would be helpful for other owners of our model who would face the same chore. It sounds like you're saying an extended account of that would be better suited for blog entries. Is that correct?

The almost universal way I check in here is to hit the What's New tab. It seems blog posts don't show up in that. I just went to the blog section and saw David Grimm's bow pulpit discussion from 3/25, for the first time. If I look back in the What's New pages there's no mention of his post. I'm still a newbie here. I guess due to my habits I've developed the notion that fewer people read blog posts. And most of the helpful information I find tends to be in forums. Blog posts do seem to show equally in searches, both through the site and from outside search engines. Anyway, that's the background to why I haven't applied for blog status.

Would it be possible/ make sense to include blog posts in What's New? Or am I accessing it wrong? I welcome advice toward being a better EYo citizen. Thanks.

Prairie Schooner

I'm on my phone at the moment. Thumbing down further on the What's New page and I see the other categories. No blogs showing now, but perhaps that's because I'm all caught up now. I guess I rarely see New Resources and never got in the habit of scrolling down further. Short Attention Span Theater and all that.

At any rate, the first question stands.

Cheers,
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would hazard a guess that the site software show's "latest posts" with an intended reference to "posts" being something in a Forum.
I do agree that showing new blog entries would be nice, also.
Some more research is probably needed.
Aside: does the site render the same on your phone as on your personal computer? I have no idea if that's relevant, but do find that I really dislike logging in on my small iPhone screen. Of course that may only certify my Fuddy-Duddy credentials......

Good question!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Various approaches. You can certainly commit to a blog. One benefit is a personal record of work on your boat.

Lately the Blogs confuse me, so I just post in the forum and call them "blog" entries in my Signature line.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Various approaches. You can certainly commit to a blog. One benefit is a personal record of work on your boat.

Lately the Blogs confuse me, so I just post in the forum and call them "blog" entries in my Signature line.
I like this approach because it works better for posting while you're doing the project. Forum posts encourages a more open and collaborative conversation than a blog post and I need all the help I can get during a project.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I realize that sometimes we are tempted to take threads on tangents from a simple question. The problem I see is that sometimes a simple question requires a larger context to understand the answer or brings up a prevention issue. For instance, a question about an electrical/electronics problem almost always triggers questions about faulty grounds and the constant need, IMHO, to aggressively service and maintain ground contacts in a marine environment. There are folks who go to the doctor to get "fixed" when they have a medical event, and others who get checkups,watch diet and exercise and work to maintain health. When I find a problem on a boat I am always curious about what could have been done to prevent it. Not sure where the dividing line is or what folks are looking for in responses and blogs.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
what folks are looking for in responses and blogs.

It's a fascinating question that goes to the way minds work. For me, a blog is a story. Engaging discussion, other than appreciation, isn't really the goal. That's because the blogger is recounting something larger, or ongoing, or is describing at length a complex project or cruise. Any long series of Q&A in the comments becomes random, and the answers are not easily searched.

The forums, however, are very good at specifics, such as where to find a certain gasket, how much to pay a boatyard for a keel drop, comparison of self-steering options, and so on. The thread titles are highly searchable, and members try to protect the topic from thread drift.

Therefore, if planning for self steering, say, it is a natural forum topic to open the debate "which vane steering is best?" There may also be useful blogs decribing personal experience with Monitor, Sailomat, Hydrovane and others. The blogs are about one brand. The forum discussion is about all the brands.

Anyhow, the forum works very well indeed as it is, with us all doing best we can to ask and to answer.

Also,

Experienced members know to search first, and then add their question or solution to an existing thread that is close to the topic. That keeps the information together and helps reduce repetition. Adding to the end of an old thread moves it into "What's New," just as a new posting would.

The updated XenForo software Sean has worked hard and brilliantly to install has an improved Search capability, I think. But a Google search is always more complete, since in addition to this site it also scours the whole Internet.

Repetition seems unavoidable. Every new inquiry about mysterious water in the bilge necessitates recommendation of a half- dozen investigations, all of them well documented here but often scattered in different threads. The experimental "Master Thread" list seeks to identify the most useful discussions on common topics, but still can't grasp all 20+ years of knowledge in the database. (If you happen upon a great thread on a popular topic let me know so we can include it in the list).

The best responses, in my experience, contain links to such invaluable threads which a member has stumbled upon. Only the hive memory can find them-which makes all of us librarians of Ericson and Olson history.

Who is an expert here? "Anybody who just did the job."

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Who is an expert here? "Anybody who just did the job."
E-Yup...... :)

Seriously, I always gravitate to the advice with some sincere disclaimers also. I find that (maybe it's just me) the more a person knows about a problem, the less they claim to know about it. :rolleyes:

Prairie Schooner

I've found it extremely helpful to discover, all in one place, varied accounts and opinions on a particular subject. The Master Threads are a great innovation.

I feel I'm too chatty here already and am reluctant to give myself the extra runway of a blog. An academic once complained to Flannery O'Connor that too many college writing programs were discouraging young writers. To which O'Connor responded, "I don't think they're discouraging enough of 'em."

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
The almost universal way I check in here is to hit the What's New tab. It seems blog posts don't show up in that.
Ditto on using the "What's New" tab... however I discovered that there is more than just forum posts available under "What's New". If you click on the subtitle "New blog entries" you will get the new blog entries.

whatsnew.png

Clicking the above link jumps you to the "Blogs" section which has two additional ways to get to the new blog entries:

newblogs.png

Prairie Schooner

Ditto on using the "What's New" tab... however I discovered that there is more than just forum posts available under "What's New". If you click on the subtitle "New blog entries" you will get the new blog entries.

View attachment 46670

Clicking the above link jumps you to the "Blogs" section which has two additional ways to get to the new blog entries:

View attachment 46671
It's embarrassing to admit, Jerry, but I feel like a petulant teenager. "You mean I haaaavve to click Two buttons?"

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I start with "Home" page, which shows recent blog and forum posts.

Capture front page.JPG

Then I look at the Bell icon ("Alerts" at top right) which notes updates in threads I have recently visited.

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

My recent experience with the sole/fuel tank/sea hood has crystallized for me why it is difficult to put boat maintenance stories into discreet topical posts. It seems like no matter what you do, even if it’s just replace the logo stickers on the stern, you end up having to rebuild half the boat.