Binacle rebuild finished

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I finally assembled my completed binacle today(launch on Tuesday:egrin:)
I removed the binacle and stripped it to bare metal and then had it powdercoated. I made a new plate out of starboard and also had a new guard fabricated. All wires run down through the binacle. I also had my compass rebuilt. Replaced the transmission cable and now it shifts like butter. The final result is a helm station that is better than new.

I adjusted my steering and added a rudder postion sensor and now I can spin the wheel and it will keep turning. I hope to be able to get some better feedback as a result. Previously the steering was so stiff that you could set it anywhere you wanted and even a big puff wouldn't budge the wheel. When down there I found many of the sheaves where not aligned and the cables were way too tight.

We also took the opportunity to polish and wax the lower part of the cockpit as it was much easier to do without all the steering gear in the way.

pict0002.jpg

pict0004.jpg

Last edited:

Brian K

Member III
Very nice Tim!! BTW, the polish, swirl remover, Colinite wax process is going very well. That Makita 9227C is AWESOME!! Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very Nice

That's a very clean and tidy installation. Well done!
About the guard, that's the taller version, isn't it?
And that Garmin, there are 3 ports on the back, compared to 2 on my 3005c series. I know that the second one we do not use is for their own network stuff, but now I am wondering what the 3rd port is for. What model is it, BTW?

Do you have a video camera in your "engine room" and watch your diesel run?
:)

Best,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The original guard was 50". This one is 52". Just enough to allow the charplotter to fit. It looks taller because I removed the silly 2" teak trim ring under the compass.

Loren, it is the 3206. The 3 ports are power/antenna/nmea, network and video. We do not use the video port but we do use the network port for our radome.

I also have a new Edson drop leaf cockpit table to add along with a cup holder yet to be made.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Very nice Tim!

I notice you mentioned removing the teak ring under the compass. My E38 is a little different as I have a Danforth Constellation compass, but I tried to remove the teak ring and could not. The reason is the teak ring provided clearance for the shift lever beneath to operate! I hope and assume you checked this? It would make for a nasty surprise if not.... RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the tip Rob. It does limit my shift lever a little but still has enough throw to shift the transmission. I had done this a few years back and verified this weekend when I installed the new shift cable.

Maybe when it comes time to replace the compass you get a Richie.

Now I just have to find something nicer than those ugly plastice shift knobs. Teak knobs would look nice there.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the tip Rob. It does limit my shift lever a little but still has enough throw to shift the transmission. I had done this a few years back and verified this weekend when I installed the new shift cable.

Maybe when it comes time to replace the compass you get a Richie.

Now I just have to find something nicer than those ugly plastice shift knobs. Teak knobs would look nice there.

Excellent, glad to hear you could do it. Regarding the shift/throttle lever knobs, I was thinking the same thing. What do you think of bronze balls? Get some from McMaster, etc. and drill/tap them? Then you could say, why yes, I do have a set of..... Well, you get the idea.

RT

corkhead

Julian Ashton
pedestal rebuild

looks great!
did you replace the brake/pads, if so where did you source the pads please?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sorry Julian but I did not. They were working fine last season and appear to have plenty of material left. They are fairly easy to get to anyway so I will wait until they are toast.

dsdemarest

Member I
Wires in Pedestal

Nice job. Wanting to do something similar, but concerned with getting cables for Garmin 740 Chartplotter down pedestal. Was removing the pedestal necessary or do you think you could have done it in place? Also contempating a new guard mount such as yours, but going to 1.25" to allow for running of cables. Any thoughts you or anyone else have would be appreciated.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Routing wiring thru the binnacle guard.

I was locating a Std. Horizon GPS Map and a Radar screen in similar fashion and went through a similar process about 4 years ago. My solution was as follows;
A 1" binnacle guard was used along with an instrument enclosure box for the radar set. To me the 1" diameter tube was adequate for the wiring route but the entry cut-out would reduce the strength to "nil".I added a 1" 45 deg. "tee" fitting at the exit point. This re-enforced the cutout opening in the tube wall and provided a nice entry angle for all the cables.
Stuffed in there I have the 3/8" dia Radar cable, Multi-core cable for the GPS, GPS antenna cable and spare conductors should I ever with to add switches for cockpit lighting.