Bimini Advice

enkramer

I'm a new owner of E35-2 on Texas Gulf Coast. I've reviewed previous threads in D&F and elsewhere on this topic but would really appreciate additional input.

Sun and heat conditions here are brutal for much of the year, and biminis are more the rule than the exception. Current plan would be to install two-section bimini - one area covering the helm aft of the boom and the other larger section covers the rest of the cockpit from thwart to companionway. A zip-in connector piece would let you close the gap when under power or at the dock. Head room at helm would be 6'3" but drops off as you move forward.

A line drawing showing proposed install is below:

The drawback here is that once you add the bimini, you're stuck with it - there won't be any elegant way to fold it down without blocking the cockpit or the companionway (although it is being installed using stanchion bases without drilling any new holes in deck).

I'd really appreciate any advice whether to move forward with this big project. Thanks.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Our setup

Christian is correct, your drawing didn't load so try again. But I wanted to share an image of the bimini and dodger setup on our E32-3. We sail out of Annapolis, MD and summertime conditions can also get brutal on the bay too. I personally see this topic as a healthy and safety issue too. As a cancer survivor and having a small bit of skin cancer removed from my nose, surgically last year, having good sun protection (beyond sun screen) is extremely important IMO. So much so that I had my old folding bimini removed and replaced it with a "permanent" frame that couldn't be folded down so the sun protection is there all the time. Plus the more substantial framing gives me extra sturdy hand holds too which are quite handy. In the photo you can see the frame attached to the stern rail, the zippered in connector and dodger frame. What is missing are the side panels on the dodger which we removed on that hot day. When zipped in they come around to the cockpit and you can see the snap points if you look carefully.

I know that many sailors don't like having the extra canvas overhead, especially if they race. But if that is the case then the canvas can be taken off the frame just for race day and then re-installed. The one modification that I did after I had the permanent bimini installed was to cut out the clear plastic window in the top (so you can see the main under sail) and replace it with a plexiglass window in a frame. You can just make out the acorn nuts holding the frame together at the top of the Bimini in the photo. The clear plastic window got "funky" because of the sun and was impossible to clean. Changing to a harder plexiglass window made all the difference in the world and is now more maintenance friendly. If you wish I can take some shots of the window during my next trip down to the boat which will be this Monday.IMG_0082 copy.jpg