Bilge pump issue

csoule13

Member III
Looks like we'll be able to track every time I go to the boat, because it will be followed up with a post here.

Water in the bilge, so I go to the electrical panel, push the circuit in for the pump. Nothing happens. We have a flip for the bilge for either manual or automatic, which we keep on automatic. Flip to manual, circuit on the panel trips. Repeat the process, same result. As a first time owner, I haven't the slightest idea where to start on this.

On the flip side, next weekend I'll be figuring out how the manual pump works.

Chris
'83 E30+

e38 owner

Member III
seems to be the case with new boats

The learning curve for any new boat is huge.
Start with a voltage meter.
Check the pump is not shorted or broken
all the connections are solid and water proof
The float switch is connected properly.
depending on the bilge the problems are ussualy at the pump. (
the ones that live in the bilge) or the wiring.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
When this happened on our 1984 E30+, exactly as you described, the problem was that the rubber impeller in the housing of the bilge pump )located underneath the quarter berth) had become set and was no longer turning freely. Because it was stuck, it drew more electricity, tripping the fuse. The solution for us was to take the three or four screws off the end of the housing (the impellor end, not the motor end) remove the impellor and grease both the inside of the housing and the rubber impellor vanes with a grease; remember to replace or reset the fuse, whichever you have.

I now operate the bilge pump briefly every time I'm at the boat, just to keep it all moving and supple, but only briefly as the impellor can overheat without water running through it.

It's possible that your problem is different as suggested in the post above, meaning wiring, pump motor, etc. in which case you will need to use the volt meter to check where the power is and isn't to determine what the problem might be.

Good luck! Let us know what you find, as others will also have this problem at some time.

Frank

Last edited:

jengels

Member II
Chris, I have an 83 30+ as well and have had most of it apart. I haven't had any problems with my bilge pump but if can help you with anything else, let me know.

John.

Pat C.

Member III
I have had terrible luck with the above bilge impeller pumps originally installed. Nitrile impellers will last longer, but ultimately freeze as well. Too undependable IMHO...especially for a bilge evacuation system. Best to consider replacing. I went with a Whale diaphragm pump and a back up submersible.

Careful with submersibles, if the discharge is under the transom, a following sea can allow water back into the boat.

csoule13

Member III
In the interest of learning for the group at large, I wanted to get back to everyone. We have indeed located the problem with the bilge, and a reasonably simple solution to the problem.

The cause of the issue? Our four-legged crew member and his shedding hair. Their was a clog of dog hair, and the unit was tripping the circuit when it couldn't match the resistance. Remove dog hair, turn on pump, done. Moral of the story, always check the easy stuff first.