Bilge full of Diesel/Leaking tank

Tom Plummer

Member III
:boohoo: Went to the boat the other day to load up for a 10 day sail. :0305_frow When I opened the hatch I caught the faint odor of diesel but it was faint so didn't think much of it. That is until I opened the bilge hatch to open the engine cooling water through hull. My bilge was about 3" deep in Diesel fuel a quick investigation revealed the source of the leak yep it is the tank. :boohoo:

I took a quick run into town and purchased three 5 gal fuel cans and a 5 gal waste oil can. With my handy dandy trusty battery operated portable bilge pump I pumped the bilge into the waste oil can. Then using the electric booster pump I pumped the tank dry.

Next I searched this web site to see if anyone with a E35-2 had replaced their tank. It appears that several have.

But none it seems with the under the cockpit engine option. Has anyone done this? Can you get the old tank out through the Starboard side storage locker in one piece? Oh what to do what to do Woe is me.

chaco

Member III
E35II Fuel Tank Replacement

Replaced the tank in the E35II-Mid Engine recently. Came out / in by
removing the Door under the Stairs...pretty clean really.
I tink yer gonna haf to pull the Engine on the Stern Engine Model :devil:
No Sawzall is gonna save you on this one :boohoo:
Let me know as you need help on this.

Happy Fuel Tank :egrin: :egrin:

Tom Plummer

Member III
Yesterday several of my dock mates came aboard to view my dilemma. After much head scratching and some elbow bending the consensus was that the only way to do this was to cut a hole in the cockpit.

Which set me to wondering. I seem to remember that the Pacific Seacraft 37 had a permanent hatch in it’s cockpit deck. So now I am wondering if I could do that to my E35.2. What do you think my fellow Vikings? Has anyone ever done this? Any and all thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Stan has a 35-2 with the engine under the companionway - and I know he changed out his fuel tank (without cutting on the boat - just the tank itself, I think...).

I've not been able to reach him (or rather, he's not returned my calls/email), however - but if you want to email me back channel I'll be happy to forward you his contact info (he's down at Tyee Marina in Tacoma).

Then, you can turn the entire saga into a project page for the new site!! :egrin:

//sse