Bi-fold door hardware, E 30+ 1980

sailorman37

Member II
I'm rebuilding an Ericson 30+ 1980 and seem to be missing the bi-fold door hardware. The attached picture shows the hole for the hardware, but I can't find anything on-line that may fit. Can someone show me what it looks like, tell me where to get one or have one for sale?

Thanks

Brad

Attachments

• IMG_7886.JPG
    IMG_7886.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 66

Glyn Judson

Door hardware.

Brad, If it's anything like what I have on our 1979 E31, it's simply a latch consisting of a piece of flat bar made of brass with a notch cut out at one end and a hole at the other. The hole allows a screw or pin to pass through that acts as a pivot and the notch at the other end engages a plate or another pin, can't remember. It's design is utterly simple yet effective. If I had to guess, I'd say that the brass is 1" wide and as long as needed to do the job. With a drill or even better yet, drill press, you could make one yourself in under 10 minutes if that. Once installed, one need simply lift the bar through the large opening with a finger, thereby unlatching the bar, etc. Make your own and nobody will be the wiser. I'm not at the boat but just looked at a photo of that door and the opening in it is identical to the image you posted of your door. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, MArina del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have that door out of my 30+ at the moment and sitting in my garage waiting on me to do some work on it, so I can take a picture and post it tomorrow. It is as Glyn describes. I don't like the latch because in its "up" position it gets stuck inside the door and is hard to get back out.

sailorman37

Member II
Thanks

I was contemplating something of that sort since I didn't see any wear patterns on the edge or sides of the door. Thanks for your help.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Here are the pics of the door latch on my 30+. The width is 3/4", the length about 2 7/8" (hard to be completely accurate without removing the latch) and the thickness of the metal is about 1/8". The slot in the metal is 15/32" deep. You can see the bung that covers the head of the screw that retains the latch.

Attachments

• Latch_1sm.jpg
    Latch_1sm.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Latch_2sm.jpg
    Latch_2sm.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Latch_4sm.jpg
    Latch_4sm.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: