bi-fold cabin door

jhelfand

I'm trying to figure out some of the 'customizing' the previous owner did to my
e30+. Specifically, the door that separates the head and v-berth from the main
salon is weird. It has a piece of trim aft, which hides the edge of the door from sight in the main salon, but no trim forward. It doesn't seat properly in the jamb forward of the wet locker. Can anyone tell me how this door is mounted in their boat? Is there a piece of forward trim? is the door hinge forward or aft, and is the bifold hinge facing forward or aft when the door is folded closed.

Thank you.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Might be hull settling

I can't tell you what your E-30 door is supposed to look like, but the fact that the door doesn't fit well in the opening might be due to the hull settling or pinching a bit from the stress of the rigging, and not to any modifications that your PO made.

On my E-38 the door fit perfectly with the boat on the hard. But once the boat was launched and the rigging tuned, the door would barely close. I'm sure that says something about the hull that I would just as soon not know, but it happened every season, and never got any worse, so I didn't worry too much about it. We also didn't use that door, which helped me maintain my state of denial. If we had wanted to use it I would have had to plane off a 1/4 inch or so to get it to fit.

lazydog

I also have a 30+. All I have left of the door in question is the stile and hinge that is attached near the head. There is no piece of forward trim. The door hinge forward, and the bifold hinge facing aft when the door is folded closed. I have been trying to get a craftsman to replace the parts that are missing. No luck yet. Good luck to you.