Best paint for metal surfaces?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Need to paint the pedestal, along with a transom-mounted pole that holds some antennas (GPS, AIS, VHF and soon radar). The current paint is in poor shape, especially on the pole, where it's peeling and flaking like an Irishman after a bad South Beach sunburn. Can anyone suggest a good metal paint that'll withstand a salt water environment?

ConchyDug

Member III
Aluminum? I'd use some flavor of primer geared toward aluminum and then Awlgrip or some similar 2 part paint. Could be real wild and alodine the aluminum if you wanted but that will effect the paint adherence some.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Those are good options, but involve alot of work or cost. Depending on your budget, you could also sand off all loose paint till you have a solid smooth surface, prime with a good metal primer, then spray or brush with two coats of either Tremclad or Rustoleum paint, available in most hardware stores. It won't last quite as long as a two part awlgrip but can be redone more easily as needed.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
I used Rustoleum Latex Aluminum Primer 8781, and then white latex enamel on part of my pedestal, with good result. I sanded the whole piece smooth before painting, just to remove loose paint and corrosion.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've gone to great lengths with Interlux Brightside, including using it thinned in a Preval sprayer.

Now I just use hardware-store Rustoleum enamel, sprayed in the cockpit every couple of years, and it looks just as shiny and lasts just about as long.

Takes more time to tape off the hardware than to push the spray button.