Best Moorage near Portland

Traveler7

Member II
If you haven’t done so, you might want to explain the situation to the manager. I traveled up to Portland while preparing to move for two months each weekend and stayed on my boat a couple nights each time. The manager never said anything.
I think that was who just told me they don't allow that...Hayden Bay is ok with 3 days couple of times so I will stretch that a bit...

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
they do not allow any sleepovers,
Wow, that seems crazy to me. I can understand the no live aboard rule but why even have a boat if you can't fully use it where it lives most of the time. Do a lot of marinas in the PNW restrict/prohibit overnight use of your boat ?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes quite a few marinas around here do restrict the number of nights spent per week or month. I believe this is to prevent people from covertly using the marina and boat as a low cost living option, rather than an actual boating facility. There are tons of sailboats in various states of disrepair being used in the Portland area as homes. This pirate or ghost fleet has all the issues you might expect, but cannot be (or are not) regulated since they mostly anchor out. They are supposed to move every two weeks but I haven’t seen that enforced.

So that whole situation may have something to do with these marina requirements.

Traveler7

Member II
Wow, that seems crazy to me. I can understand the no live aboard rule but why even have a boat if you can't fully use it where it lives most of the time. Do a lot of marinas in the PNW restrict/prohibit overnight use of your boat ?
All of them I have spoken with have some restrictions. Fred's, for example, will only allow two nights! Hayden Bay says 3, but also says they will look the other way if there is no abuse. Sadly, I may need to anchor out even having a slip.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, Tomahawk Bay has (had?) a whole row reserved for liveaboards. Some friends of ours lived there for about 18 years on a 41 foot sailboat.
At most places everyone spends a night or three aboard every month. The trick is not to stand out or be a slob. No potted plants or rusty bicycles on deck! No tarps! :)

Traveler7

Member II
FWIW, Tomahawk Bay has (had?) a whole row reserved for liveaboards. Some friends of ours lived there for about 18 years on a 41 foot sailboat.
At most places everyone spends a night or three aboard every month. The trick is not to stand out or be a slob. No potted plants or rusty bicycles on deck! No tarps! :)
Yeah, I agree. just sail it and then clean it and sleep on it...no one will care.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Sadly, I may need to anchor out even having a slip.
Yeah, that is crazy. I sail a lot and after getting back in and having a rum or 2 back at the dock/club I'm not driving home. Sometimes I just want to be on the water so I'll stay on the boat for a few days at a time. I think that's why I bought a boat with overnight accommodations and pay to keep it in the water.

Traveler7

Member II
Yeah, that is crazy. I sail a lot and after getting back in and having a rum or 2 back at the dock/club I'm not driving home. Sometimes I just want to be on the water so I'll stay on the boat for a few days at a time. I think that's why I bought a boat with overnight accommodations and pay to keep it in the water.
Yeah I def do not want to pay for a moorage AND a motel!