Best Moorage near Portland

Traveler7

Member II
Hi PNW owners! I am hoping that some of you live near PDX and Vancouver and are in one of the several Marinas in the area. If you are I would appreciate your feedback on which is good on access to the river, security, public transportation and friendly management.

Currently I am leaning towards Hayden Bay, but a friend just told me that she knew someone whos deep keel sailboat was damaged by a dredging pipe there (?) that you cannot see. This makes me wonder if all the marinas there have low water issues where only local knowledge will prevent grounding and possible damage to the boat. My boat draws 5 1/2 feet so reasonably deep keel.

Thank you for any advice and information, much appreciated!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most/many marinas will/should have water to float your boat. The very unofficial "standard" for maintenance is somewhere around 6' when the river gauge is at zero in the fall at low tide. The only marina with less draft than that is the one at 33rd/Marine Drive, where you can see even small boats hard around at low tides.
I am a member of a club (Rose City YC) that owns and operates a dredge, and we remove sand accumulation every winter. Hayden Bay is OK as long as you are not assigned to one of the docks that is falling apart, but be aware that vehicles in their parking lot are vulnerable to break in's. Similar problem for the neighboring Tomahawk Bay marina, but their docks are in a little better shape.
Marina life is a lot more peaceful down along the Multnomah Channel, but sailing there is limited. On the main river there is a lot of noise from PDX.

Edit: Picture added of the Dredge owned by our little club. Operated by our volunteers thru the winters, it's vital to maintain enough depth. Fun to operate, too!

Attachments

• Dredge at RCYC.png
    Dredge at RCYC.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Traveler7

Member II
Most marinas will/should have water to float your boat. The unofficial "standard" for maintenance is somewhere around 6' when the river gauge is at zero in the fall at low tide. The only marina with less draft than that is the one at 33rd/Marine Drive, where you can see even small boats hard around at low tides.
I am a member of a club (Rose City YC) that owns and operates a dredge, and we remove sand accumulation every winter. Hayden Bay is OK as long as you are not assigned to one of the docks that is falling apart, but be aware that vehicles in their parking lot are vulnerable to break in's. Same problem for the neighboring Tomahawk Bay marina.
Marina life is a lot more peaceful down along the Multnomah Channel, but sailing there is limited.
Thanks, this is the info I need. I'm also looking at the Vancouver side- Steamboat especially... The car thing and high crime seem to all over Hayden Island- assaults and robberies too!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Marina life is a lot more peaceful down along the Multnomah Channel, but sailing there is limited
Everything is a compromise in the PDX area. I am on the upper Multnomah Channel which offers reasonably good sailing on the Lower Willamette but the marinas in this area are pretty rough. Lower on the Multnomah Channel the marinas are much nicer but then you are miles from sailing. Itery quiet and less risk of car/boat breakins.

Hayden Island marinas are nicer as Loren mentioned and many more sailors to interact with and sailing supplies, but getting there involves I5 which can be problematic and the petty crime is quite high.

We moored our previous boat, an Ericson 27 at Hayden Bay for a few years. There is shoaling at the entrance and you have to have local knowledge of the trick to getting in and out safely during low water. Same thing at Columbia Crossing with our 30+. They usually sound the marina in the summer before low water and post a chart showing where the shallow spots are. Watch the tides and depth sounder! Even despite this we managed to find the bottom a couple times (6 foot draft).

You could also consider St Helens lower on the river which is about 30-40 minutes from downtown. The wind seems a little more consistent there in the summer and the marinas seem reasonably nice.

I’m not familiar with the Washington side but I do try to avoid I5 like the plague!

Good luck with your search.

Traveler7

Member II
Everything is a compromise in the PDX area. I am on the upper Multnomah Channel which offers reasonably good sailing on the Lower Willamette but the marinas in this area are pretty rough. Lower on the Multnomah Channel the marinas are much nicer but then you are miles from sailing. Itery quiet and less risk of car/boat breakins.

Hayden Island marinas are nicer as Loren mentioned and many more sailors to interact with and sailing supplies, but getting there involves I5 which can be problematic and the petty crime is quite high.

We moored our previous boat, an Ericson 27 at Hayden Bay for a few years. There is shoaling at the entrance and you have to have local knowledge of the trick to getting in and out safely during low water. Same thing at Columbia Crossing with our 30+. They usually sound the marina in the summer before low water and post a chart showing where the shallow spots are. Watch the tides and depth sounder! Even despite this we managed to find the bottom a couple times (6 foot draft).

You could also consider St Helens lower on the river which is about 30-40 minutes from downtown. The wind seems a little more consistent there in the summer and the marinas seem reasonably nice.

I’m not familiar with the Washington side but I do try to avoid I5 like the plague!

Thanks, the Hayden Bay leasing agent was upfront about there being shoal areas you need to know and volunteered to show me (i'm sure from the dock). Also hoping to find others and either have them on my boat, sail with them on their boat or follow them out and get shown the area.

Traveler7

Member II
Most marinas will/should have water to float your boat. The unofficial "standard" for maintenance is somewhere around 6' when the river gauge is at zero in the fall at low tide. The only marina with less draft than that is the one at 33rd/Marine Drive, where you can see even small boats hard around at low tides.
I am a member of a club (Rose City YC) that owns and operates a dredge, and we remove sand accumulation every winter. Hayden Bay is OK as long as you are not assigned to one of the docks that is falling apart, but be aware that vehicles in their parking lot are vulnerable to break in's. Same problem for the neighboring Tomahawk Bay marina.
Marina life is a lot more peaceful down along the Multnomah Channel, but sailing there is limited.
Have you heard anything positive or negative about Fred's Marina on the Willamette?

Traveler7

Member II

Have you heard anything positive or negative about Freds Marina on the Willamette?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Scenario A: top of Multnomah Channel, adjacent to the industrial part of the Willamette, and less than hour from sailing opportunities on the Columbia. "Quaint" and old fashioned. Sketchy little haul out yard next door with famously quirky revolving ownership. Very Quiet compared to marinas and Clubs along NE Marine Drive.

Viewpoint B: Old wooden docks with lots of rot, and since I have not walked those docks in over a decade, they could have been repaired some. For decades it's where broken down boats get parked and quite a few of them go there to die. It is probably a good deal, money wise. That said, if you're seriously considering Multnomah Channel, drive a bit further and check out Rock Pointe Marina (and very nice boat yard). Well run and maintained. I was just there a couple weeks ago, helping a friend take his boat in for a bottom job; they charged him less than the bid - he is pleased.
On the Columbia, you might check out the marina at Camas, while you are prospecting.
(Aside: it's always been a crying shame that the owner of the marina at 33rd and NE Marine Drive totally refuses to dredge, and it's only suitable for boats drafting under about 2.5 or 3 foot. There are a group of Ranger 20's and Cal 20's there, and they barely have enough water to float.)

Note that my opinions are just that and nothing more. Opinions.

Last edited:

Traveler7

Member II
Scenario A: top of Multnomah Channel, adjacent to the industrial part of the Willamette, and less than hour from sailing opportunities on the Columbia. "Quaint" and old fashioned. Sketchy little haul out yard next door with famously quirky revolving ownership. Very Quiet compared to marinas and Clubs along NE Marine Drive.

Viewpoint B: Old wooden docks with lots of rot, and since I have not walked those docks in over a decade, they could have been repaired some. For decades it's where broken down boats get parked and quite a few of them go there to die. It is probably a good deal, money wise. That said, if you're seriously considering Multnomah Channel, drive a bit further and check out Rock Pointe Marina (and very nice boat yard). Well run and maintained. I was just there a couple weeks ago, helping a friend take his boat in for a bottom job; they charged him less than the bid - he is pleased.
On the Columbia, you might check out the marina at Camas, while you are prospecting.
(Aside: it's always been a crying shame that the owner of the marina at 33rd and NE Marine Drive totally refuses to dredge, and it's only suitable for boats drafting under about 2.5 or 3 foot. There are a group of Ranger 20's and Cal 20's there, and they barely have enough water to float.)
Thanks for the input...much appreciated! Rock Point is just too far from the Columbia I think...

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Fred's is great. We moor next to Fred's and I nearly moved over there recently. I moored our first boat (Ranger 22) there in the past. I also have friends who moor their Ericson 27 (my former boat) there. They cater to lots of fishermen and trailer launch boats so they are busy in the spring and summer. Very nice people (talk to Creon at the front office about slips). I think its a good place and they seem to be actively working on and maintaining the docs (I just saw Loren's post). I didn't end up moving because the slip they had to offer at the time was behind a big fishing vessel that is permanently moored there and it felt a bit claustrophobic. Also I was concerned about limited maneuverability with shallow water nearby. Definitely worth a look though. One thing to be aware of, sailing the lower Willamette and Columbia below the Vancouver RR bridge means a LOT of commercial traffic. There are tons of barges, bulk carriers, car carriers, etc. in addition to all the fishermen and recreational boaters. Not saying its a bad thing you just have to keep your head on a swivel. Above I-5 its just the occasional barge.

With all it's drawbacks (rotting docks, distance from town, not many other sailors, etc) do like sailing in that area. In the summer the winds are a bit lighter than on the Columbia, but if things are just right you can sail a close hauled reach most of the way down the channel to the Columbia and find some better wind. We typically will go for evening sails where we motor the one mile out to the Willamette, hoist the sails and head downriver to the Columbia, and depending on the wind will sail down to Frenchmans Bar then turn around and come back. The current can be strong in the Columbia in this area but you can avoid the worst of it by keeping to the north side of the river. We also will occasionally anchor across from the mouth of the Willamette below the permanent string of barges and read or nap and swim (well, hang on to the ladder and dip in the water so the current doesnt carry us away!). Its a nice way to spend a relaxing summer afternoon. There is a wind dead zone that we call the Bermuda Triangle just above the confluence that you sometime have to motor through. The other good news is the depth is really good in the Willamette, we haven't yet found ground anywhere. You can also motor down the Multnomah Channel. And Sand Island in St Helens is a great overnight trip from there, either down the channel or the river.

IMG_9947.jpeg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bigd14, Thanks very much for the update! I had a friend that moored a small powerboat there about ten years ago for quite a while, and he always lamented the poor maintenance. He said it was really cheap, and that made up for other things. How is the 'security' there, now? Better than on Hayden Island, I would hope.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Loren- I have noticed that Freds seems to be spending quite a bit of time and effort in fixing up their docks. They have the advantage of having a fuel dock (no diesel though), little store, and a trailer launch site in addition to the marina so they have steady income with which to maintain things. They have removed a bunch of the derelict boats from Freds and my marina in the past years. About 4-5 years ago my marina replaced all the pilings with steel ones. We had the issue with the collapsing gangway last year but they fixed it and are now (slowly) working on a new gate/access system. Some of the fingers are a bit wobbly and hopefully they will replace those soon. But the price is definitely good, and I really haven't seen or heard of too many security issues and so far its been working fine for me. I think security is always a worry, but the advantage of that area is that someone has to actually drive out there to commit a crime, and there is not (yet) a homeless population in that area, which I believe is the a big part of the problem on Hayden Island. Regardless I try not to leave anything of value in the car, which is a good idea anywhere in PDX!

Oh, and a gentleman with a green Ericson 36 moved to Freds last summer. I forget his name but I believe he is planning on moving it up to Puget Sound/Salish Sea sometime soon. At any rate, there are at least 3 Ericsons in the area right now. Traveler7, make it 4!

Traveler7

Member II
Fred's is great. We moor next to Fred's and I nearly moved over there recently. I moored our first boat (Ranger 22) there in the past. I also have friends who moor their Ericson 27 (my former boat) there. They cater to lots of fishermen and trailer launch boats so they are busy in the spring and summer. Very nice people (talk to Creon at the front office about slips). I think its a good place and they seem to be actively working on and maintaining the docs (I just saw Loren's post). I didn't end up moving because the slip they had to offer at the time was behind a big fishing vessel that is permanently moored there and it felt a bit claustrophobic. Also I was concerned about limited maneuverability with shallow water nearby. Definitely worth a look though. One thing to be aware of, sailing the lower Willamette and Columbia below the Vancouver RR bridge means a LOT of commercial traffic. There are tons of barges, bulk carriers, car carriers, etc. in addition to all the fishermen and recreational boaters. Not saying its a bad thing you just have to keep your head on a swivel. Above I-5 its just the occasional barge.

With all it's drawbacks (rotting docks, distance from town, not many other sailors, etc) do like sailing in that area. In the summer the winds are a bit lighter than on the Columbia, but if things are just right you can sail a close hauled reach most of the way down the channel to the Columbia and find some better wind. We typically will go for evening sails where we motor the one mile out to the Willamette, hoist the sails and head downriver to the Columbia, and depending on the wind will sail down to Frenchmans Bar then turn around and come back. The current can be strong in the Columbia in this area but you can avoid the worst of it by keeping to the north side of the river. We also will occasionally anchor across from the mouth of the Willamette below the permanent string of barges and read or nap and swim (well, hang on to the ladder and dip in the water so the current doesnt carry us away!). Its a nice way to spend a relaxing summer afternoon. There is a wind dead zone that we call the Bermuda Triangle just above the confluence that you sometime have to motor through. The other good news is the depth is really good in the Willamette, we haven't yet found ground anywhere. You can also motor down the Multnomah Channel. And Sand Island in St Helens is a great overnight trip from there, either down the channel or the river.
Thanks for the info, I called and spoke to Creon and right now they do not have space for me. A 60' fishing boat may be departing from the side docks which would leave me more exposed to the traffic, but I am thinking big fenders and good spring lines should keep me ok? What do you think about that? Thanks again for all the help- look forward to meeting the E-36 owner, Creon says it's a nice boat!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A 60' fishing boat may be departing from the side docks which would leave me more exposed to the traffic, but I am thinking big fenders and good spring lines should keep me ok?
Be sure to use big fenders, and chafe gear on your lines. Anywhere on the Channel where a boat is on an "outside" slip will get wakes from inconsiderate boaters. The floating home folks along there sometimes honk air horns to serve notice. It's a narrow channel and too many fishermen and skiers are in too much of a hurry.
By comparison, the daily run by the tug with the gravel barge is usually very controlled and considerate. :)

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think I would be a little hesitant about an outside slip. As Loren mentioned many power boaters don’t obey the 5mph limit and there is a lot of traffic around the fuel dock. So lots of wake in the spring and summer. Also, inspect the docks carefully, some of them use big logs as flotation, and the logs can extend past the edge of the dock below the surface where you risk the hull hitting them if the fenders are too small or move.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Re: Saint Helens area. A bit far, but the travel time might not be too different from getting over to the Vancouver side? I kept my E29 there for a few years when I first got it, in Scappoose Bay. Quiet, inexpensive, fairly good security, expansive calm kayaking waters from the dock, if you're in to that. The river there has pretty good sailing but a lot of commercial traffic. Cons: half an hour up a narrow, shallow, mostly unmarked channel from the main river. Even with 4.5' draft, during low-water season, I had to wait for high tide to get out. Although during high water, you could probably safely take a tack through the adjacent cow pasture. I dinghied up the channel for a visit last month and not much seems to have changed in the last decade. More hobo boats, floating and sunk, along Multnomah channel than there used to be.
In contrast, the downtown marinas (IIRC, there are four of them, side-by-side) are in deep water. Like 50 feet at the city dock. The current is pretty swift and reverses with the tide. You can drop lines and be out on the river in minutes. As of a few weeks ago, at least one of the marinas had a sign up advertising vacancies. Just a few steps from the docks to old town Saint Helens with a number of shops and eateries. Summer concerts in the park. The big change is that the old downtown mill has been leveled and the site is being re-developed. I suspect that the area will only grow more pleasant in the next couple of years. When I was a kid, outsiders were repelled by the odors of the big paper mills but that's all gone now.

Traveler7

Member II
I think I would be a little hesitant about an outside slip. As Loren mentioned many power boaters don’t obey the 5mph limit and there is a lot of traffic around the fuel dock. So lots of wake in the spring and summer. Also, inspect the docks carefully, some of them use big logs as flotation, and the logs can extend past the edge of the dock below the surface where you risk the hull hitting them if the fenders are too small or move.
I will check them out- right now I will be going to Hayden Bay since no one else has space. I will be on a month to month so maybe I can stay on Fred's list for an inside spot when one opens up. My other problem is I want to be able to stay on the boat when I come to Portland to visit my Grandson and Fred's really has no option for that...they have the most limited sleep over policy of any of the marinas. Steamboat seems to be the most liberal in that regard also with regard to working on the boat. Hayden is so-so...under the radar stay overs would probably be ignored if low key. I'm looking for two four day stays over weekends. With an electric boat I want to motor as little as possible so going way up a channel or the Willamette is not in the cards. Thanks for the comments- if anyone loves Tomahawk or any other Hayden Island place better please let me know- i appreciate you all!

Shankara

Member II
Hey there,

I purchased my Ericson 25+ in Portland and it was docked at Columbia Way West marina. The manager is very nice. The wood docks are old so you have to watch your step. The cool thing about it was that there is a community of floating houses inside of the docks, with some very nice people living there.

I never had an issue with my car being messed with, but there is a lot of homeless camps a couple blocks back from there on North Marine Drive. The contrast between yacht life and suffering life is apparent there.

I did enjoy the neighborhood community feel with the floating houses. https://columbiawaywest.com/

Shankara

Traveler7

Member II
Hey there,

I purchased my Ericson 25+ in Portland and it was docked at Columbia Way West marina. The manager is very nice. The wood docks are old so you have to watch your step. The cool thing about it was that there is a community of floating houses inside of the docks, with some very nice people living there.

I never had an issue with my car being messed with, but there is a lot of homeless camps a couple blocks back from there on North Marine Drive. The contrast between yacht life and suffering life is apparent there.

I did enjoy the neighborhood community feel with the floating houses. https://columbiawaywest.com/

Shankara
Thank you for the suggestion! I need to stay on my boat a few nights each month and they do not allow any sleepovers, so not going to work sadly....

Shankara

Member II
Thank you for the suggestion! I need to stay on my boat a few nights each month and they do not allow any sleepovers, so not going to work sadly....
If you haven’t done so, you might want to explain the situation to the manager. I traveled up to Portland while preparing to move for two months each weekend and stayed on my boat a couple nights each time. The manager never said anything.