Best caulk for rebedding

bbboat

Member II
I'm getting ready to rebed virtually everything on Pie-Rats. Deck has been recored in many places, all holes filled with epoxy, and new Awl-Grip. I'm ready to put all the hardware back on and want to make sure I do it right, and don't have to do it again for a long while.

In reading through posts and other sites I'm hearing that polysulfide is the way to go, yes or no? Various brands include BoatLife Life-Calk, 3M 4000 and 4200, 3M 101, and various brands of Sika.

What's the best caulk to use for rebedding? Thanks!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm guessing that you'll get excellent recommendations for poly-sulfides and for softer curing polyurethanes.

For deck hardware and on my port re-bedding project I have been using Life-Calk, a polysulfide based bedding compound. It's very messy to work with, which is why the stuff works so well.

I have used 3M 4200 (polyurethane based) on a cosmetic project and it is just as messy as the Life-Calk. I will use 4200 to re-bed thru-hulls (below the waterline) this week.

Have fun!

ChrisS

Member III
Here is an earlier thread that morphed into a discussion about caulks:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6096

If you can stand the 10 day (or longer) full cure time, polysulfides are they way to go in terms of longevity. Remember to wait until the sealent has cured a bit to tighten the hardware--this way, you get a nice "gasket" under the fitting. I also tape the border of the hardware's foorprint, so that I can trim excess sealent an get a nice clean look.

Properly calking all fittings on a regular basis is key to keeping away many old boat illnesses.

Captron

Member III
Deck Bedding

Using anything less than 3M 5200 is inviting a do-over in the not too distant future.

Yes, it makes removal of a fitting in the future difficult, yes it's a mess to work with but it's adhesive properties make it the best sealant for deck fittings.

That's my opinion but it is also the opinion of David Pascoe a marine surveyor of considerable expertise. Check out the following link.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/hardware_attachments.htm

:egrin:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
No offense Captron but I must disagree. 5200 is not the right product for this. It is an adhesive more than a sealant. Why do you need such a strong adhesive for something that already has a mechanical adhesion? Deck cores do not leak because people did not use 5200, they leaked because of lack of maintenance and crappy builds or a rebed done improperly. And if you do not bed it properly this time, 5200 will not save your butt. And then you will have to deal with the 5200 immediately. At least with 101 you will be able to do-over if needed.

You will have a lot of problems if you ever need to remove that fitting. The gelcoat will come up with the fitting and then you will be into a whole new level of repair. What happens when the stanchion base bends or a turning block breaks? If bedded properly, 101 is what you should be using. I do not know who David Pascoe is but I think Don Casey would not recommend 5200. I also think 5200 is succeptable to UV damage.

Maine Sail has a great write up on this and I am sure he will post it soon enough.

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
Tim..

David Pascoe is a marine surveyor out of Florida who is quite right on a number of issues and quite wrong on many too. He is controversial to say the least.

A few points I disagree with him on are:

#1 Sealing the underside of the deck with sealant! Why? Common sense and history show us that crevice corrosion is real and if the water does not have anywhere to escape to it will rot the bolts and or migrate into an unsealed core. I notice he has no survey results for Hinckley's, Morris Yachts or Lyman Morse all of whom ONLY seal the deck side.

If you have sealed the core off by over drilling, and doing an epoxy plug, sealing both sides will certainly slow a leak to the inside but it does not guarantee the top side did not leak and that crevice corrosion is not prevalent in your stanchion bolts.

I for one would prefer a drip inside the boat to notify me it's time for re-bedding than to find out in rough seas that because I sealed the inside I am now watching as my boat sails off without me because that stanchion broke off due to crevice corrosion.

By sealing ONLY the deck side you will know when you have a leak and can attend to it before your bolts begin to corrode or your core gets soaked. NEVER, NEVER EVER seal both sides without first sealing off the core!!!!! Doing this will cause leak migration and the water will come out 15 feet from where the leak is so good luck finding it..

#2 Pascoe makes NO mention of what a proper bedding technique actually entails. He makes no mention of the "countersinking method" which in effect creates an o-ring around the bolt. He mostly just talks about no bedding at all and bashes the DIYer, as he likes to do, to promote business to his industry buddies and to scare owners away from doing their own repair.?? You want anti DIY scare tactics read his post on "moisture meters". Trust me they are NO WHERE near as complicated as he tries to scare you into believing..

#3 He makes no mention of "real" and substantial backing plates that would prevent movement, which leads to leaks, and says instead to use "washers" & 5200.

#4 He states that 5200 is an adhesive, no sh$t sherlock! What he refuses to acknowledge is that 5200 is nearly TWICE as adhesive as the bond your gelcoat has to the substrate. Why on earth would anyone need an adhesive, on a properly fastened and backed MECHANICAL fitting, that has nearly twice the bond of the gelcoat? It makes ZERO sense unless your trying to feed your boat yard buddies future gelcoat repair business...

#5 He makes no mention of the fact that a LARGE majority of boat builders, up until the early to mid 90's, used 5200 for bedding. So if 5200 is the miracle compound how is it we still have thousands, upon thousands of boats, bedded with 5200, with wet decks? I know of very few manufacturers who factory bedded with polysulfide. Why? Most likely because it was cheaper to use the same sealant for everything keels, deck to hull, bedding etc. and buying drums of 5200 was more economical than buying two drums (this was actually told to me by a boat builder).

#6 He actually makes the claim that 5200 is "highly effective" without mentioning any facts to back it up like the fact that close to 8 out of 10 used boats on the market has wet decks, to some extent, and a good majorty of them were factory bedded with 5200.

I have personally re-bedded well over 40 leaking 5200 sealed components including a keel on a Catalina 30. I've re-bedded many more components that leaked with 5200 than any other product perhaps due to it's wide spread use but I've had to re-bed polysulfide and silicone too. The 5200 on my keel ripped a large chunk of the laminate off the keel stub when it finally was cut far enough, with a Sawzall, to tear the remaining 6 inches, that had not been cut.

It is my experience that execution, preparation and technique are FAR more important than what sealant you use. As evidence, my 1979 CS-36 was bedded entirely using butyl (including the hull to deck joint). My hand rails, genny tracks, port lights and many other items were and are still leak free after 29 years with butyl! Butyl by the way NEVER HARDENS and has about 50-75 PSI of adhesion strength. 5200 gets harder and harder over the years and has 700 PSI of adhesion so what Pascoe says about adhesion is COMPLETE BUNK with a properly mounted, backed and sealed mechanical fitting. I've yet to see a 29 year old 5200 fitting that has not leaked. They may be out there but I've yet to see one...

For on deck fittings I like polysulfides (140 PSI) then Sikaflex 291 (221 PSI) and then 3M 4000 or 4200 both about 300 PSI. I also still use butyl tape on some things like hatches and ports and even genny tracks.

Over drilling/epoxy filling and a light counter sinking of the bolt hole is all that's needed to be leak free for a long time.

If you must use a polyurethane for deck fittings try Sikaflex 291.

Method:

The best method for bedding hard ware is to countersink each hole slightly on the deck side. Then apply your bedding compound/sealant and then tighten it all the way down! Reaming & potting the holes with epoxy takes it to the next level beyond this and insures no deck core damage..

By doing this you've created an o-ring or gasket completely surrounding the shaft of the bolt and the countersinking ensures the sealant does not squeeze out and actually forces more into the countersunk area the more you tighten. By waiting for it to cure then tightening you run a huge risk of twisting the bolt and BREAKING the seal!

The picture bellow shows a set of lifting pad eyes I installed on my RIB using the countersink method and 3M 101 (Pascoe would NOT be proud = low adhesion). These pad eyes are BELLOW the waterline and are used to lift the dinghy into the davits. They have been bone dry and never once leaked a drop of water in the five years since I installed them. This method works bellow the waterline and on deck too...

DO NOT wait to tighten and creating a "gasket"! I'm convinced this method was created by boatyards to ensure future business...

Outside the hull backing plate:

89289576.jpg

Inside the hull lifting eye. Five years and not so much as a rust stain! There is NO leaking:
89289577.jpg

Here's a photo of the countersinking and beveling I did when installing new ports. That reveal is about 1/16 of an inch:
96337477.jpg

Last edited:

stillwater

Member II
Old Style Bedding Compound

Having owned wooden boats for 30 years, I have used Dolphinite, which has little if any adhesion but does not shrink and remains semi soft forever. Having worked on and owned fiberglass boats the last few years I tried Dolphinite in many applications above and below the waterline. Works great for me and is easy to clean up. Comes in a can, very gooey and still reminds me wood boats!.

bbboat

Member II
Wait to tighten or create O-ring with

Wow! I've obviously touched on a subject with many opinions, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

The whole reason I'm doing this all at once is because the P/O decided to solve his leaking problem by caulking the leaks from underneath rather than rebedding. That left only one place for the water to go and that was in the core.

Now that the core is better than new, I want the rebedding to be as good as possible.

Last edited:

bbboat

Member II
Countersinking & O-Ring seal

I agree with Maine Sail on the 5200 - I've talked with enough fiberglass experts to know that stuff is only for permanent (as in never-ever want to take it off) repairs, not for sealing fittings that will most likely need to be replaced in the future.

On another expert, someone argued that waiting a few days for the caulk to cure before tightening was risking breaking the seal between the caulk and the bolt threads (which can happen if the nut is overtightened and will happen if you tighten the bolt instead of the nut). He went so far as to say that many, many boatyards have made mucho $$$$ in core repairs because of this practice.

I'm also curious about the countersinking idea. That same website poster I just mentioned also recommends drilling the countersink to create the O-ring seal and then tightening down immediately. Sounds logical.

Maine Sail

Member III
On another expert, someone argued that waiting a few days for the caulk to cure before tightening was risking breaking the seal between the caulk and the bolt threads (which can happen if the nut is overtightened and will happen if you tighten the bolt instead of the nut). He went so far as to say that many, many boatyards have made mucho $$$$ in core repairs because of this practice.

Not only that but by creating a gasket you introduce MOVEMENT! I can assure you Harken did not intend for a 32nd if an inch or more of flex or movement in their deck hardware. If deck hardware could effectively be sealed by means of a gasket we would be using gasket material. There are literally hundreds of manufacturers of gasket material from neoprene to silicone impregnated rubber but we don't use it because the loads exerted would create to much movement, eventually fatigue, and elongate the bolt holes creating yes a leak..

I am on the project of refinishing exterior wood items, and re-bedding etc. This article makes sense to me, and I expect it might have some value for others: www.pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck

One question if someone knows: Under the sliding hatch of my e25 is aluminium skid on each side, and the bedding material is a rubber gasket of some kind; soft, squishy (at one time) - a closed cell black rubber. Does anyone know what this material is, and what it's replacement is, or what it should be?

Thanks in advance, Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
FWIW Life Seal not life Caulk is my choice. It is easy to work with. Cleans up well. Resists UV better than Life Caulk and is a great sealant. I dont need adhesive in bedding deck hardware. Thats what the friggin bolts are for!

Akavishon

Member III
yellow

I've been using life caulk, and still am, occasionally, though I'm switching more and more to butyl tape whenever I can.

I'm not happy with the caulk ... left exposed, it turns ugly yellow, yuck! I would need to recaulk the groove around my storm hood but have been putting it off for exactly that reason. Does anyone know of a caulk that will stay pretty-white forever?

Speaking of storm hood (and I apologize, no intention to hijack the thread), is there any reason for me to unmount it before I recaulk it? Is there anything under it that needs attention?

TIA - Zoran

Emerald

[snip]
I'm not happy with the caulk ... left exposed, it turns ugly yellow, yuck! I would need to recaulk the groove around my storm hood but have been putting it off for exactly that reason. Does anyone know of a caulk that will stay pretty-white forever?

Speaking of storm hood (and I apologize, no intention to hijack the thread), is there any reason for me to unmount it before I recaulk it? Is there anything under it that needs attention?

TIA - Zoran

I've had good luck with the 3M 4000 UV for staying white (and staying sealed). It should be just fine for the sea hood. One of the nice things about the 4000 UV is that it cleans up with rubbing alcohol.

If your sea hood is held on like mine, a ton of screws around the edges, I'd be tempted to pull it, epoxy pot/redrill the holes etc. and give it the full re-bedding treatment. You'll also get access to the rails for the hatch (perhaps time for some dry lubricant if sliding is an issue), and you might find more dirt than you can imagine. That was at least the case when I recently pulled mine.

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Life Seal does not turn yellow. Does not get hard. Cleans up with alcohol, although unless you are really sloppy a few paper towels normally do the trick. 4000UV is also good stuff too although I have only used the fast cure version which was a bad idea as it cured way to fast and I had to redo the job...

Maine Sail

Member III
As much

As much as I dislike Silicone for purposes other than re-sealing acrylic and such it does stand up to UV better than many of the sealants out there.

You might also try 3M UV4000 which is neither a silicone, polysulfide or polyurethane but rather a polyether. I tried it and found it to still yellow some but not as bad as a polyurethane. 3M 101 polysulfide still stays quite white for a long time when compared to Life Calk polysulfide (don't know why?) and is my preferred sealant when I'm not using butyl.