Bending a keel

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Is it possible? The 'tards at my boatyard moved my boat sometime in the last three years, and left the stands so the boat was at about a 10 deg angle. Can that damage the keel?

Part of the reason I ask is that there are now threee vertical bulges in the fibreglass on the side of the keel, running pretty much top to bottom.

If you can tell me I am paranoid, good; if not, any idea what can be done about it?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Gareth, do you have a photo?

10 degrees fore or aft? Or 10 degrees port or starboard?

I've had boats wintered with too much pressure on the stands, leaving a suspicious-looking dent or two in the side of the boat. They unfailingly returned to normal within hours of being launched.

It seems unlikely that 10 degrees would be much of a structural problem. The cosine of 10 degrees is about 0.98 which I think suggests that 98% of the stress of the boat is where it is when the boat is level. (Non-armchair naval architects, please correct me.)

My issues with not being stored level fore-and-aft have been with drainage problems but that isn't a problem indoors, as I recall you are.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I agree it seems unlikely that it should do any damage, and I would not have asked the question, were it not for the bulges in the keel, and the fact I have no idea how the keel is built.

It would be hard to show anything in a picture, as the bulges are subtle.