Beefing Up for Offshore Cruising

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm sure Jim will comment, but here're my opinions:

There exists a storm jib that attaches around the furled genoa on the forestay. But for me, the notion of setting it up, with its own sheets, under deteriorating conditions is a complication.

As a practical matter, in anything above 30 knots going to windward is a bit much to ask of a small boat at sea. I have successful sailed on a beam reach in 30-40 under a scrap of furled jib at about four knots. The problem is the sea state. In 40, the crests of the waves break over the boat in a noisy and destructive way and even a beam reach is harrowing.

In a gale you tend to run off, trailing drogue, or under bare poles, or heave to or lie to a sea anchor. This analysis informs my choice of storm headsails. I don't have one. A furling headsail has to do the job. In expectation of heavy conditions I switch early to a 90 percent jib. Way early.

But of course I'm not racing and usually shorthanded or alone. A skilled crew does change things. But still, making good to windward above Force 5 requires real will.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'm sure Jim will comment, but here're my opinions:

There exists a storm jib that attaches around the furled genoa on the forestay. But for me, the notion of setting it up, with its own sheets, under deteriorating conditions is a complication.

As a practical matter, in anything above 30 knots going to windward is a bit much to ask of a small boat at sea. I have successful sailed on a beam reach in 30-40 under a scrap of furled jib at about four knots. The problem is the sea state. In 40, the crests of the waves break over the boat in a noisy and destructive way and even a beam reach is harrowing.

In a gale you tend to run off, trailing drogue, or under bare poles, or heave to or lie to a sea anchor. This analysis informs my choice of storm headsails. I don't have one. A furling headsail has to do the job. In expectation of heavy conditions I switch early to a 90 percent jib. Way early.

But of course I'm not racing and usually shorthanded or alone. A skilled crew does change things. But still, making good to windward above Force 5 requires real will.
Advice well taken.