Bay info wanted

makai

I will be leaving Urbanna, VA in about 2 weeks bringing my newly purchased 1971 E-29 home to Georgia. I have never transited the ICW in VA and NC--
1) How far is Urbanna to Norfolk? Can it be made in 1 day?
2) Any pitfalls entering the ICW at Norfolk?
Any other info would be appreciated
thanks
Mike

EGregerson

Member III
icw

i purchased an e28 in St Simons GA in 2000 and brot it to the Potomac river; your adventure has begun. you're traveling at the outset of hurricane season; watch the weather; all the time; storms are worse these days; not just hurricanes but tornadic cells; thunder etc. Buy a chart book of the icw and guide book; study them carefully; there are long stretches where anchorage is not convenient. Make sure the boat is ready; batteries good; fuel clean and new fuel filters (often boats for sale sit a long time and the fuel spoils; you take it out and an hour later you're dead in the water); it's about 600 miles from norfolk to GA; take your time. From urbanna you might get to Norfolk the 1st day; it's about 60 miles;if not stay in the Perrin river or Poquoson off the York river. there are places to anchor in Norfolk; the only pitfalls are the several rail bridges you have to go under; you will pass by several aircraft carriers; too close and they will use lethal force; make sure you have a hand held vhf; the cruising guide will tell which channels the bridges monitor; it varies by state; be polite to bridge captains; they can make or break your day. then decide whether you want the dismal swamp (oldest operating locks in the country and free dockage at the dismal state park; free slips at elizabeth city))or the carolina cut; the run across the albermarle sound down the alligator is a long one to anchorage; however there is a marina near the alligator bridge. there is no tide in the albemarle sound. The icw below the Morehead city has the shoaling; pay close attention to the charts and temporary markers and your depth sounder; the rock pile north of myrtle beach is hard bottom; stay in the middle. take bug spray; take a camera; it's incredible; the experience of a lifetime. Enjoy.:)

Last edited: