Bay Area Surveyor and Boat Yard Recommendations

Pcif

Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to this forum and hopefully about to be a new E35 owner as well. Does anyone have recommendations for surveyors and/or boat yards to haul out a boat in the bay area? My preference is somewhere SF to Berkeley (including Alameda) but willing to go where I can get good help and any work done on the boat.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Paul,

Welcome and all the best.

See this for a surveyor: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1947.0.html

Do NOT use anyone else. He is the best, by far. Please say hi for me.

Where's the boat and what do you need to have done?

That'll determine the boatyard. Simple stuff? SF Boat Works (they also do hard stuff very well). Alameda: Svend's for everything. Grand Marina for simple bottom jobs. KKMI, (Richmond or Sausalito) does everything. I've never been to Berkeley for any work, DIY yard plus they do any other stuff.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
While he is officially retired from active surveying work these days, Jim Jessie still speaks at survey seminars as recently at last January at a NW boat show. He did our survey in Alameda in '94. He had a wealth of information and experience, and was a great guy to learn from. He and his wife were living aboard in that area, , last I heard.
After crawling all over our proposed purchase and making comments and notes, he took me out to lunch at the Oakland YC.
I remember his hearty laugh when I asked if I was actually paying for part of that lunch. :)
Perhaps he could assist you in winnowing down your list of prospects.

All the best,
Loren

ref_123

Member III
Boat yards

Boat yards are a deeply personal choice - otherwise there would not be so many around...

We tried Nelson and Svendsen so far.

Nelson is cheaper but hard to deal with. Also, work quality on anything but paint jobs proved to be somewhat questionable. Painting on the other hand was outstanding. After they lost a really good yard manager 5 years back it's never been the same anyway. Many people however will tell that there is no boatyard better then Nelson's - and it may be the case for them.

Svendsen provides - in my experience - high-quality service on all accounts but it is relatively expensive and far to sail to. We plan to go there for the haul out this winter.

Also I read stellar reviews of KKMI but have no personal experience.

Regards,
Stan

donaldd

Bay Marine Survey

Hi, I just had a E28+ surveyed by Jesse at Bay Marine Survey. Not having a lot of survey experience it is difficult for me to compare, but I was immensely impressed by his thoroughness. He is SAMS certified, which from my understanding is the only accreditation that you should be concerned with. Regards

ChrisS

Member III
To survey I've used Peter Minkwitz out of Oakland, who is very thorough and patient with questions. As far as boatyards go, be prepared to shell out big $$$ and/or be frustrated with timelines, work quality, etc. I'd be more inclined to do as much work as possible, if possible, and leave rigging/engine/etc. work beyond your skill level to independent guys outside of the yard.

Matey

Member III
Another vote for Minkwitz

Peter Minkwitz was recommended to me here on the forum and he far exceeded my expectations with his survey. His 30 years experience as a yard Mgr. and Surveyor were completely evident as we went through the process. I spent (and was happy to pay for ) 6 hours with Peter on a boat that needed “allot of love” to say the least. He not only identified all the issues, he took the time to outline a plan for me to remedy them. A few years later when I look at the survey .. he hit or recommended I look into every issue I have found with the my boat .. and I’ve pulled the motor and rebuilt it’s beds, replaced all the steering and it’s supports and yanked the mast and supported the deck and post beneath as a few of those items.
As for yards .. I agree it’s personal. I used Svendsen’s and was quite happy with them. This July I hauled at Bay Marine in Richmond, I liked them even better. They were extremely helpful and priced fair. I personally will not use Berkeley due to some of the lifting I’ve seen them do on other projects.

Good luck ..
Greg

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Do you bay area sailors know how fortunate you are to have so many good choices for boatyards and services? I have always envied you for that. We don't have near the choices you do, and nor do many others.

ref_123

Member III
I'd trade you!

Keith,

I'd trade my boat yards for warm daysailing you can do almost year-round. Here I have to put foulies in the middle of the summer if we go upwind for a considerable amount of time! The other day we were going through San Pablo bay - we got frozen. And it was 90F further inland! Plus, we love Channel Islands cruising.

Regards,
Stan

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Aw, c'mon, Stan, at least we can "pick" our weather and we get WIND. :) We came back from the Delta just last week, and it was comfortable all the way across Suisun Bay, San Pablo Bay was flat, and the only wind and cooling we got was across the slot. We've also had a long spell of heavy fog from a low pressure center since that day. Our son made it into 'lectronic Latitude when swimming off our boat last Tuesday in the Estuary. I'd bet some folks would trade us their places for our wind.

Pcif

Thanks for everyone's great responses.

Unfortunately Peter Minkwitz is ill and sounds like he is out for a couple of months.

At the number listed for Peter, Bill Melbostad answered and says he does surveys as well. Does anyone have experience with him?

I need to find a captain who can help me take the boat I’m in contract on from Brisbane to Alameda Thursday evening or Friday during the day to haul out the boat for a survey.

Does anyone have any recommendations of captains? The broker hasn’t been able to find one that is available.

Thanks again for everyone's great help.
Paul

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
If the tides are right (4.1 and above for our 5'-7" keel) you can come to Alameda through the "Back Door" past the Aeolian Yacht Club and through the bridges. I do it a lot, both ways. Saves a ton of time. The AYC website has good instructions.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Sad to hear about Peter, I was going to recommend him as well, six years out he was still right on and didn't miss anything. I did my haul out at Grand Marina and was very satisfied. They are not as capable as Svensons but are no where near the price either. Also Svensons is just down the street so it is easy to use the rigging shop or chandler without paying for it to be on site. Also they were very easy to deal with about all the do it yourself work. They even arranged to put my bottom job off a couple days while I had a new prop shaft made (there was no day charge while it sat for them to get around to THEIR work) That said I plan to do my next haul out at Svensons as I will be replacing the mast and the standing rigging so being at the rigging shop will be more important. My $.02 is registered, not that it is really worth that much. Edd

Chris C

Bay Area surveyors

To survey I've used Peter Minkwitz out of Oakland, who is very thorough and patient with questions. As far as boatyards go, be prepared to shell out big $$$ and/or be frustrated with timelines, work quality, etc. I'd be more inclined to do as much work as possible, if possible, and leave rigging/engine/etc. work beyond your skill level to independent guys outside of the yard.

If you have not already gotten a survey, I second the opinon of Peter and on doing your own work. I have always hauled at Berkeley because they have great advice and let me do my own work. Everyone knows and respects Peter's work.

Gumdoc

Member I
I can not speak for any surveyor but will certainly consult this thread when I am in the need of one. I recently had my raw water valve fail, fortunately in the closed position. I did not want to take any unnecessary chances when replacing it. It has been three years since Zealous’ (Ericson 32 hull #250) bottom has been painted (at KKMI by the PO). I also knew I needed a new cutlass bearing as reported in the survey three years ago. My stuffing box has been a problem, as well as its boot, and I’m just too old to get down in the bilge to repair it. It was hard enough just to get down there and tighten it. So I looked into having her hauled, cleaned and her bottom given two coats of Interlux. Svedsen and Grand Marina both quoted $2,000 minimum, depending on the condition of the bottom. Both said the wait was about two weeks and the season was going to get even busier. This was on March first. Then I checked with British Marina which is very near my berth in Oakland North Marina. British Marine is next door to Quinn’s Lighthouse across from Coast Guard Isle. Brian quoted me $1,376 for the bottom job, including hauling. I could start the next day and not have to pick it up right after it was done. I was planning on being out of town. Well, the final cost for the bottom paint was $1,677 but that included a complete sanding of the bottom and raising the the boot stripe. I did not like the color of the old one. While she was being painted I had two of my boating mentors stop and take a look. They both were impressed with the work being done. While she was on the hard, he (actually Jim) removed the shaft, replaced the stuffing box with a dripless pss shaft seal, replaced the cutlass bearing and the raw water valve. In reassembling the prop, a Maxprop 3 blade folding, Brian noted it had previously been assembled with the blades reversed. Brian consulted with Maxprop and got the correct settings, Jim cleaned up the prop and installed it after painting it with Pettits antifouling zinc paint (my request). All the parts and labor for everything but the bottom job was another $1,000. This included a 10% discount for being a BoatUS member. I could not be more pleased. I had never been able to steer Zealous in reverse and could only back and fill. Now I can steer like a car in reverse and must have added 2 knots to my top speed. So, if your shopping around, check out British Marine at 11 Embarcadero Cove, Oakland. They told me that they will pick up and deliver from and to any marina in the Bay Area.

Shane

I may be coming down to look at an E34 boat down on SF Bay, and the seller has released a recent survey of the vessel done by Jan Van Sickle. The seller thinks he might have been a little too picky, but that's why you get a surveyor, right? Regardless, I would be more inclined to use a different surveyor just to get some different eyes on it. But I am curious as to how complete a picture the previous survey showed from that time. Please, I don't want/mean to start a string of defamatory comments here, so feel free to contact me privately if deemed appropriate.

Regards,
Shane